Cleaning Fiberglass Tubs

My fiberglass bathtub has a nonskid bottom that is terribly difficult to get clean. I have found that the best thing is to scrub it with baking soda. It also seems to stay clean for a long time after I do this. For a little added cleaning power, after it is all scrubbed, I add and scrub a little dash of vinegar all around, scrubbing quickly as the fizzing action only lasts a few seconds. The tub is just gleaming when I get done. It is an amazing cleaner for fiberglass.

Patti from Oklahoma City, OK

We are redecorating. My fiberglass tub is in very good condition for its age. But, I noticed after removing the old shower door that it looks yellow compared to the new tile. Is there anything I can do short of having it refurbished?

I understand that Krud Klutter from Home Depot seems to do the job. Don't know yet, but I am going to try it today.

But does that scratch the surface?

Sorry, but baking soda does not really clean anything that is dirty. Sure, it may "clean" something that's already clean, but it will not clean a dirty shower or bath tub.

Baking soda is also abrasive and that starts to wear on the gel coat. I use Vinegar to remove soap and hard water stains. If you leave vinegar on the acid is mild enough not to alter the gel coat and will dissolve the water spots and for the last 4 years has been great on my brass fixtures. After I get it shining with vinegar I apply a high end poly car wax and the surface seems to last up to a year if I do not use abrasives or even rough surfaced rags. I have really hard water here and the shower fixture was leaking and built up a horrible hard water deposit on the brass up high where I could not see. I just hung a rag soaked with vinegar on it for a couple of hours one day....scrubbed and then a few hours the next day.....scrubbed and shiny as new.....Put that wax on it after. Just like a car and road grime it will save your surface. Use the good poly based wax or teflon based. Hard to work with but unless you plan to replace that shower and tub (in my case)

well worth the effort.

S.o.S pad it may not be the best thing to use. But if you have a dark stain in it that will remove it. The stain is worse then the damage the S.O.S pad will do

Interesting ingredients for this process. These are exactly the same ingredients to use (drink) when losing belly fat and cleaning one's stomach!