Living a Frugal and Organized Life

A couple putting money into a piggy bank.
One key to sustaining a frugal lifestyle is being organized and staying on track. This is a guide about being frugal and organized.

I have always been frugal. I am even more frugal as I get older and the economy has forced me to be more frugal, to stretch the almighty dollar. I access web sites, use coupons, go to clothes/food giveaways all in the effort to pay my bills and saving as much money as I can. Sometime it is a struggle. But in the end it is worth it.

The corner stone to my keeping me on track is organization. I have it down to a very manageable system. There are some days when things fall behind, but for the most part, it works, at least for me. Let me break down my schedule for you.

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Now this schedule can change due to emergencies, appointments,outings or I am just to tire to move. There are times when I will tweak this schedule to fit my needs, but basically, this is it. It keeps me on my toes and lets everyone else know what to expect. Easy as pie.

By Georgetta Ruth from Waterloo, IA

Read 3 Comments

Many people are overwhelmed with the thought of organizing their home let alone one specific area. A great "workplace" organization methodology you can follow in the home is called "5S", originally employed in Japanese manufacturing plants.

Loosely translated to English, the 5S model is as follows:

There are many sources of information on the internet for "5S" or maybe even in the mind of your spouse who has been involved in "5S events" at work.

Beyond 5S, simply avoid purchasing "stuff" that truly is not needed by you or your family. Start by understanding "wants" vs "needs". "Stuff" does not define us; it is the things we do and the lives we impact that defines us.

By Lean Machine from Cleveland, OH

Read 4 Comments

Being separated from my husband brought on many financial challenges. First, I had to find a place to live that I could afford. The apartment I found was very small but nice. The problem was I had so much craft "stuff", I didn't have room for everything. I couldn't afford a storage space so I became obsessed in finding places to hide things.

I had to decide what to keep and what to purge. I couldn't fathom getting rid of my clear glass ornaments, my beads, my tiny little embellishments, etc. Suddenly the light bulb came on! Since the ornament holder takes up space, why couldn't I fill those ornaments with "stuff" I had to keep? I started filling the clear glass ornaments with the smallest beads. It not only provided a place to store my beads, but I also came up with ideas of other things I could keep in them. The plastic ornament boxes slide under my bed nicely! When I get ready to use the ornament, I will simply find another creative place to store them. Ta Da!

Read 8 Comments

A place for everything and everything in it's place helps my busy life run much smoother and it saves money too!

organized garage

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

If you have a frugal buddy (I have one who lives near a great independent dollar store.) - have them look out for new and interesting arrivals (and do the same for them, of course). . .