Cutting Wine Corks in Half

For Christmas, I am going to make a bunch of wine cork trivets. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way to cut them in half. I have tried the knife and that will be time consuming.... any other ideas out there would be appreciated.

Kari

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

A sharp knife will do, but why bother cutting them in half? I just used them whole when I did that.

Best Answer

I bought a little coping saw in the hardware store and that seems to work just fine. When you get to the bottom, just hold the cork up in your hand and you can finish sawing in half. You can sand the cut edge with a piece of medium sand paper.

Best Answer

I have an old scroll saw. It cuts corks really well.

Best Answer

Boil a few inches of water in a pot. Place a steamer basket inside the pot and place the corks inside. Cover for 10 mins. Using a sharp knife the corks will be easy to cut. I just tried it and it works. If a steamer insert isn't available placing the cork inside the pot of boiling water for 10 mins should work as well.

Try and electric knife, the kind you carve meat with.

Where did you find the forms to put the corks into to make the trivets?.. Please advise

I use corks a lot, and invested in a table top band saw purchased on e-bay. Makes short work of halving them and I get twice the use! I don't suggest using a sharp knife as it is time consuming and beats up your wrist :)

What's the best way to hold the cork in place while cutting it in half?

Answer

Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 2, 2004
Wine cork used as name card holder
Reusing Corks
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 12, 2016 at 4:52:29 PM on 10.0.1.180 in 778 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.