Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Cutting Wine Corks in Half

0EmailPrintFollowSave

For Christmas, I am going to make a bunch of wine cork trivets. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way to cut them in half. I have tried the knife and that will be time consuming.... any other ideas out there would be appreciated.

Kari

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By guest (Guest Post) 12/04/2004 Flag

A sharp knife will do, but why bother cutting them in half? I just used them whole when I did that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guy (Guest Post) 04/30/2005 Flag

I bought a little coping saw in the hardware store and that seems to work just fine. When you get to the bottom, just hold the cork up in your hand and you can finish sawing in half. You can sand the cut edge with a piece of medium sand paper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By dollardan (Guest Post) 11/15/2007 Flag

I have an old scroll saw. It cuts corks really well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Laurie O. 2 07/22/2015 Flag

Boil a few inches of water in a pot. Place a steamer basket inside the pot and place the corks inside. Cover for 10 mins. Using a sharp knife the corks will be easy to cut. I just tried it and it works. If a steamer insert isn't available placing the cork inside the pot of boiling water for 10 mins should work as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Kelly (Guest Post) 12/02/2004 Flag

Try and electric knife, the kind you carve meat with.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robert W Smith 1 04/08/2005 Flag

Where did you find the forms to put the corks into to make the trivets?.. Please advise

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Leslie (Guest Post) 01/10/2009 Flag

I use corks a lot, and invested in a table top band saw purchased on e-bay. Makes short work of halving them and I get twice the use! I don't suggest using a sharp knife as it is time consuming and beats up your wrist :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By upcyclela 1 08/09/2013 Flag

What's the best way to hold the cork in place while cutting it in half?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes