Life Span of Shepherd Retriever Mix

Our dog was abandoned with us 5 months ago by her previous owner. We've been told she's a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix and she's 9 years old.

I am just wondering if anyone knows what their average life span is when they are mixed? She definitely has traits of both and she is highly intelligent. By her personality and by illnesses, I must say she's more of a German Shepherd. If you had a dog this breed or known one, I would love to hear about them. Thank you.

By Nakita from Los Angeles, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

There is a rule of thumb to go by when it comes to the life span of dogs. The bigger the dog, the shorter the life span. Pedigree doesn't matter. Large dogs such as retrievers and shepherds unfortunately normally only live 8-10 years. But who knows, with lots of love and extra special care since she's so old now, she may just live longer!

Who could ever abandon such a beautiful dog? Such a sweetie!

I have had both breeds. Both are exceptional dogs. Shepherds are well known for their "smarts", although goldens are by no means dumb! Both are very loyal and loving dogs.

Although, both also are inclined to get hip displasia too. Most larger dogs are. If she does develop it, get her to the vet pronto, as he may be able to ease her pain. It is an extremely painful condition. Also they are prone to arthritis, as we all are in old age. Talk to your vet about the best way to treat her and keep her comfortable. At this age, it's even more important that she be seen regularly by her vet.

Good luck with her and good for you for taking her in and giving her a good home when she needs it so badly at this time in her life!

She is a beautiful girl and thank you for giving her a home. I have had several larger dogs, mostly lab mixes, and yes, they don't live as long as little dogs do. I had a lab/springer mix who lived to age 14, so with good care, you could have some good years with her. Make sure she has exercise every day and sees the vet twice a year, and love her every day!

Answer

Pets Dogs AdviceApril 2, 2010
Golden Retriever Mix
Golden Retriever Mix Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 4:40:09 PM on 10.0.2.44 in 872 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.