Coffee Grounds for Roses

Question:

How much and how often do I use coffee grounds for my roses?

Takisha from Pittsburg, CA

Answer:

Takisha,

It isn't necessary to use coffee grounds more than 1 or 2 times per year on your roses. Any more and you can start to alter the pH too much. To be safe, I would recommend purchasing a simple pH test. These test kits are easy to use, inexpensive and readily available at lawn and garden stores. Performing your own test will not give you the same accurate results you would get from a certified soil-testing lab, but it will give you a good general idea of where your soil lies on the pH scale. Roses (and azaleas and rhododendrons) do prefer acidic soil, but too much acid will kill microorganisms and harm your plants. A few grounds once or twice a year is safe, but unless you have really alkaline soil, I wouldn't apply any more than that without performing a soil test first. Incidentally, I would say the same about applying wood ashes to your soil to make it more alkaline. Use one cup of grounds per bush for each application to give your roses a nice boost.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Coffee grounds are exremely acidic. Do not add them to roses. They are best for hydrangeas that you want to have blue flowers and for azaleas. I am waiting for cooler weather to try banana peels for my roses. I read about that on this site, I think. By the way, you just loosen the soil and mix the stuff in with it, near the roots....

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hi

Check the soil acidity first, as roses like a certain level. I have been adding coffee grounds to my roses for several years, whatever is in the refuse container, I just sprinkle it around. The roses seem to enjoy it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening RosesNovember 2, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:31:13 AM on 10.0.0.217 in 920 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings