Keeping a House With St. Bernard's Clean

I am desperately seeking help with how to keep my settees and walls clean. I have two Saint Bernard's who insist on sitting on my settees and throwing their slime all over my walls. Does anybody have any good tips on how to keep them clean? Thanks.

Shez123

Well, I think you have to accept what comes with owning these 2 dogs. I have a golden retriever, and there's hair everywhere! It was driving me crazy, until one day I read somewhere that a pet owner was quoted saying that owning a pet comes with consequences, and hair, etc. is one of those consequences!

You can drive yourself crazy, or acknowledge what comes with owning this breed of dog. If you love your dogs, and are willing to keep them, there's no possible way you'll be hair and slime-free!!

I know when I stopped fretting, I could enjoy my beautiful dog more!

I like a wonder mop for the carpets and a bissell cleanview II Bagless. As for the couches and chairs and beds, I used materials on them that don't hold hair too bad, like towels, and covers that I can shake off outside. With big breeds you can't really stop them from doing what comes naturally but most owners have little mouth rags laying all over the house to wipe them down with. Bless you for caring for them. They sound like a lot of fun.

We have 2 80+ pound pits and a 10 pound mini pin, also a tom cat that comes n goes as he wants, and keeping them outta the bed and off the sofa just isn't happening. So I keep the bottom of the sofa covered with flat sheets and the bed well I just shake the comforter out almost everyday. And I also vacuum everyday. And a lint brush by the front door for a quick wipe before school or work or for friends that don't want a souvenir to take home. Good Luck!

More fun time with the dogs would make you appreciate them more. The family also needs to share in the cleaning too.

Diligence in wiping the drool will help stop the wall splatter just like regular daily brushing will help keep the furniture clean. I have 3 big dogs and I keep an old comforter on the couch to whip off so when I have guests.

Great advice from Carolb! You cannot have two huge dogs like that and expect your home to look like a page in a magazine, forget it. You can only have one or the other. Do your best to keep up with the mess, but don't stress over it so much. Give the dogs their own settees to sit on, which I think would be cute anyway, and then have other furniture for yourself. We gave ownership of an ottoman to our dog and she treats it like her throne! She loves it! When we snuggle in for the night to watch tv, we all get on our own pieces of furniture and it works out great!

Enjoy your dogs. Dogs will be dogs. They can't help their filth.

-Lee in FL

If you want to train your dogs not to use your furniture, you can buy some carpet runners ( plastic with the bumps on the bottom) place them upside down on the seat of your settees. The dogs will not like the feel of the bumps and in turn not sit up there. As far as the walls, I would paint them with glossy paint for easy clean up.

Buy washable durable slipcovers for your settees and whatever else they like to sit on and plan on washing once a week. Also the suggestion about high gloss paint is a good one. All the parents of St. Bernards that I have known had rags for cleaning their faces regularly, seems to help.

Saint Bernard Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 15, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Keeping Your House Clean
Keeping Your House Clean
Cleaning Vinyl Siding, A woman scrubbing the siding of her house.
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎄