Donating To Fundraisers

What do I do when I frequently receive requests for donations to fundraisers from a friend that I have already feel I have donated enough too?

Ann from MA

I would say I have set a annual budget for the forthcoming year (starting January say) for charities and I have already chosen a new list of charities and committed myself to donating if they press fro information you could mention a few names but say the rest is private

I would also point out that on top of your new and private list you also contribute to your community say local schools ( if u have children) and therefore you wont be contributing to other peoples charities this year as you like the idea so much you want to start a new tradition , donating to your own chosen charities rather than donating to other peoples chosen charities.

I would tell her you have had this brainwave (over a telephone or coffee) NOW; long before they come rattling round with a collecting tin or sponsor form.

Keep it simple just say, I am donating some money to several charities this xmas/season/year/etc. so wont be donating to other causes. Explain that you will be gift aiding or making the gift part of your tax allowance, or whatever. You can even pass the buck, and say husband is doing it on his tax returns.

If they say oh but a few dollars wont hurt just say you have started a loose change pot and that is also committed in some way and that the answer is sorry but NO. Tell them you admire what they do enormously but from now on you won't be donating as you want to donate spare cash to YOUR baby projects and no hard feelings, if they don't take the hint after that. I don't know what else would work.

I personally had to learn to say NO, I am Sorry but I didn't really like doing it. I am on a fixed income and my budget only allows so much money to Donate. I pick the ones I believe in. I mail my money to the main headquarters, not from hand to hand to whoever. If I didn't learn to do this, someone would have to DONATE to me because I would be broke, between the mail, calls, schools etc. It a everyday thing and after saying NO a few times the calls slow down and the mail becomes less. For the SCHOOLS, I buy from my Grandchildren only if it something I can really use or want.

I think all you need to do is gently tell your friend (or any other charities asking you for donations) that you are on a fixed income and that 'if and when' you have extra cash or items to donate, especially in our current financial situation, you would prefer to choose them unsolicitated and wish them well in their collection ...

I tell them I am director of "We the children fund.com", a charity organization that feeds starving children, and that's where my donations go - and this is true. They can't claim that their cause is more important than feeding starving children. They usually reply, "Thanks anyway", and hang up.

Why not say NO and leave at that. Not sure why you have to give an explanation....it's your business. It's hard to say NO but I've learned and I don't do things I don't want to anymore. Life's too short to be talked into something you'd rather not do.

Just learn to say no - just say, "I'm sorry (even tho I'm not-after all, these are friends), not this time." You don't have to give more explanation than that. I also, like others have said, only purchase things I want or can use from relatives kids, and then only if the kid asks-it is absurd for an adult to call and say "Little Johny is raising money for ___ will you buy?"

You could say "Thanks for asking. I agree that this is a good cause. I have already made my donation."

Consumer Advice General AdviceOctober 1, 2008
young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
donate sign
Donating Household Items to Charity
Donating Food
Donating Food
🎄
🍂