Add Vanilla to Cola

I love diet vanilla coke zero and when it is on sale I buy it a lot. I have type 2 diabetes and I drink a lot of diet colas, water doesn't do it for have queasy tummy all the time. This week, I didn't have much money. So I told hubby to get the cheapest diet cola, which he did. I buy the good vanilla extract. I smelled it one day and fell in love with it. The good stuff is worth a bit more money but has a better vanilla smell and taste. I took the vanilla and put just a drop or two in a glass and then added the soda. It was good! Even hubby liked it. Now I know the vanilla extract has sugar in it, that is why I just use a drop or two. If you both love vanilla and cola, try it.

By Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

I love vanilla coke (diet) and it's hard to find around here. I will try the vanilla extract. Maybe your particular product is different but my vanilla extract does not contain any sugar. Thanks for the good idea.

Vanilla extract also has alcohol in it, which turns to sugar in your body. Be careful.

Vanilla extract has sugar in it? That's the first I've heard of it. I make my own, and it is just vanilla beans in vodka or brandy for six weeks in a hall closet. And I can't imagine 1-2 drops of vanilla alcohol causing a problem. I'm a type 2 as well, and I don't mind a beer now and then. My fasting glucose stays right where it belongs, from 90-110 mg/dl. So hey, I think you've got a great idea there! I'm going to try it because I'm queasy a lot, too. Do you think the caffeine free diet coke would work? The 2-liters are on sale frequently. My last seven were free with coupons. --- Coreen

Have you ever considered that the "queezy" stomach could be from all the soda? It certainly does that for me. More than one can in a day will do it.

I hate diabetes. Thanks for the good idea.

I have done the same thing, but only I love vanilla Pepsi and have had to add vanilla to just diet Pepsi, but I still get the same great flavor.

Have you considered using vanilla syrup? They sell it at our Walmart in the coffee aisle. They have a sugar free version of it & a little goes a long way. You can use it for pop, ice cream soda's, coffee (which is what I do) and many other things. They have a small bottle or large. It is about $3.50 for a small bottle & $5.25 for the large. I believe you only have to use an ounce or less depending on your taste.