Saving a Tree Struck By Lightening

I have a 20 year old weeping willow tree that was recently hit by lightening. It only broke a small branch off, but left a wound on the bark near the top of the trunk. It has since lost all its leaves.

My question is what are the chances that it will it survive and come back next year? Is there any way I can find out more about the extent of the damage, etc.? Any info and/or advice would be appreciated as I dearly love this tree. It's the only survivor of 4 we planted when we first made our home here 20 years ago. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Leah from TN

Leave it alone, if you have a hanging branch, cut it clean.

Ours black walnut tree was hit, top to the ground and the bark split away. Had the city tree people come look at it and they said it would heal on its own. This was 3 yrs ago, and it has been fine, we had it trimmed and it is growing beautiful this summer.

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthJune 21, 2010
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Greased Lightning
Greased Lightning Reviews
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree