Natural Repellent for Flies

I have a problem with flies, I don't like using sprays because of my pets. I have tried tying a bunch of lavender in the window, but the flies just sit on it. Has anyone any other "natural" remedies?

By Janet from Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Hi! I haven't tried it but my aunt swears by it. She hangs a quart size baggie filled with water and one penny inside it outside her doors and no flies enter the house. Good Luck!

I have heard about the suggestiont that Miss Jann said but without the penny.

I tried this last year and although it didn't stop them all, it did cut the number of flies coming in by a lot!

My sister sent me this information

Zip-lock water bags

Many people swear that a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water and attached over entry-ways will repel flies. No one yet knows how or why it works, but there is speculation that it has something to do with the way the moving water refracts light.

Will this work for wasps and bees too? This is already a bad year in Ohio for wasps!

I have read that basil will get rid of them. Just put it in the areas you are having problems with. I haven't actually tried it though so I am not sure it will work. Good Luck

I am not sure if marigolds work for flies or not, but they work for other insects.

Marigolds DO NOT keep the flies away. They do, however, keep other insects from eating your plants and flowers.

Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesApril 3, 2010
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Sand Flies
Natural Repellent for Sand Flies
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
🎉
🎄