Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

By Christy 1

I have a 6 year old tabby cat that will pee in the litter pan, but poop on the floor near her litter pan (which is in the bathroom). It seems to me she does it when I clean out the litter pan and put fresh litter in it. How can I get her to use the litter pan to poop in it?

Closeup of grey and black tabby.

By Christy

Filter Sort

By Thor 1 2 Flag

My friends cat hated the 'feel' of the kitty litter. So they tried cutting up newspaper and putting it in the bottom and that seemed to help. Worth a try!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patty 13 36 Flag

My cat, also, hates using the litter box. I tried the shredded newspaper idea. He used it alright and every other newspaper in my house! Just make sure you put your 'good' newspaper where the kitty can't find it! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I have two beautiful American tiger cats. Daisy uses her litter box all the time, but my male cat Sketch, only pees in the box and uses the side to finish his business. I've tried 2 litter boxes, citrus scents, everything! But he won't use the litter box to poop. Please help.

By rosiet from CT

Feedback:

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

We've used citrus scents in our home to repel our cats from areas we don't want them. I don't know if that's why yours doesn't like the litter box or not. Cats are so finicky! I love mine, but they both get finicky about their litter box as well as other things. We have to keep ours quite clean or they retaliate and use the floor. Good luck! (06/03/2009)

By kizzybear121

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

Some cats are very picky. You may actually need to get 3 boxes. Males can be the hardest, especially when they are paired up with a female. Some cats like to pee in one and poo in the other. Some cats will not go in a box that the opposite sex has gone in. In which case your cat may have both issues. Put two boxes next to each other in one spot and one box in another spot. Make sure the litter is always clean and you should place the boxes in a safe place where there isn't any traffic or anything that will scare them.

Good luck! (06/03/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

They sell a litter called P-Pod, which is made from pea-pods and has a natural mint scent which is supposed to draw cats to the litter box because mint is in the catnip family. They also make a catnip spray you can spray on your litter. Also, there are many lavender scented litters on the market, one being "VetBasis" that are supposed to calm and mellow a cat. The 2 litters I mentioned above are natural composting litters (only as mulch for flowers, not for growing veggies). VetBasis is made of corn and as I said P-Pod is made of just that, peas. I use a litter called "Cat Country Elite" that's made from wheatgrass and is the absolute best in neutralizing odor (I live in a very small trailer and no odor from the cat box!) it's because of the chlorophyll in the wheatgrass.

My cat occasionally poops outside of his box too, this is because when he squats, his rear-end hangs over the catbox. It's not on purpose though. Could this be the problem? Or is he actually stepping out of the litter box to poop? I put contact paper over cardboard and placed this under his box for when his butt hangs over and he misses. It helps in clean up. You could also use a folded garbage bag or cut a shower curtain from the dollar store into 4 or 6 pieces for easy disposal.

Another suggestion would be to use several litters at once as a test. A different litter in each of 3 boxes. Use 3 different textures and types and see which one he prefers. For example, the crystal kind, a natural (maybe wheat based) litter and a regular clay based or clumping litter.

I also agree with what SusLuvsVintage said about some males not wanting to share a box with a female. As you most likely already know about the "catbox rule" of having 1 box for each cat then an additional one. This means if someone has 4 cats, they'd need 5 boxes, etc. So you need 3 litterboxes because you have 2 cats. I agree with SusLuvsVintage, she gave you some very good info. I also agree with Kizzybear, citrus is only supposed to be used where you "don't" want a cat to go, like near or on a Christmas tree or on a houseplant or shelves full of knickknacks, etc. Also, I'm sure you know to clean the box daily, or even twice a day if need be.

As a last idea, if your male cat is stressed out, you may want to try a product called "Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy". This is sold in pet stores (for pets) and in health food stores (for humans). Either one will work. It's great for mellowing an animal before going on a trip (plane, train or car) or to the vet. My mom's vet recommended it before her cat got his daily IV and before that when they moved their cats from Seattle to Dallas. There's absolutely no side effects and it really works!

Read more about it here:
caberfeidh.com
pets.ca
preciouspets.org
bachflower.com

My cat changed his litter box habits after he got into a fight with a much bigger cat. He started peeing on any plastic or paper bag I left on the kitchen floor after shopping. I finally broke down and got a litterbox for my kitchen. I figured having a box in my kitchen was better than him peeing in or on bags on the floor. He used that box for a few months then went back to using his regular box and also goes outside during the daytime. The good thing is that ever since that fight, he sticks very close to home and usually stays on the front porch (watching the birds) where I can keep an eye on him. The strange thing about your cat is that cats may pee in other places, but they almost never poop where they can't bury it (in litter). I sure hope you find something that works to stop this bad habit! (06/03/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

Try two litter boxes with two types of litter. Some cats don't like scoopable, some don't like clay, and some don't care. (06/03/2009)

By zoodad

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I have two inside cats one male 9 years old and one female 2 years old. I have four litter trays as the old male cat is extremely fussy and won't use the tray if it has been used. I also change the litter regularly and clean out the pee and poop often throughout the day. (06/06/2009)

By Sharylesley

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I agree with the other posters that sometimes an added box can help; unscented litter is preferred by most kitties; they dislike citrus scents.

I have several female cats and one male. I have noticed or should say I've seen it happen that the male cat has poor aim. He squats to do his thing and typically it is over the edge of the box. But I watch him settle in to the box and move around, it's not intentional.

My solution was to purchase a different type litter box. Over the years the following has worked well with my boy: the round Boda dome box, but I honestly know they don't like the covered boxes, they did use it; I have also tried a covered box with high sides and tossed the top; I recently purchased a high sided box with a low front at Petsmart which is great because my boy is a bit older now so he can get in do his thing and no accidents!

Since it's poop you can also try either laying newspaper around the box so its easy to gather and toss or a cardboard box/old flat pan to catch the accidents. With the high sided boxes, so far he hasn't had another accident.

It takes patience and time. Remember mild soap to clean boxes; replace boxes when they get to scratched up at bottom (once a year) and use unscented litter. Good luck! (06/06/2009)

By dvg

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I use both a pee bucket (old dishpan lined with a section of newspaper) right next to wide layers of fresh newspaper for the poo. It has worked for over 20 years for my cats of all sorts. I change it daily. Good luck and God bless you and the cats He has
created. : ) (06/06/2009)

By lyndagayle62

RE: Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I have 5 cats and two litter boxes in my laundry room. 1 of my cats insists on pooping outside next to the box and I think it has something to do with the lumps that they feel on their paws when they stand on the litter. I noticed as soon as I clean the boxes he doesn't do it, but when they have been pooped in a couple of times he will. I clean them twice a day, but some days I can only get at them once. But I believe that's what it is. Sensitive feet, ain't that a kick in the rubber parts, but I love them all. (01/11/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Litter Box
Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box
Pets CatsSeptember 8, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Litter Box
Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:32:14 PM on 10.0.0.94 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings