Take Leftovers from Large Celebrations to Homeless Shelters

Since our big Italian family has grown in the last few years, we now hire a hall to have a Christmas celebration in December. We all make and bring our favorite foods; lasagna, meatballs, pastries, etc.

At the end of the night there are so many leftovers and how much can you eat? After everyone has made themselves a "plate" to take home rather than toss the remainder of food out I take it to a homeless shelter in my town. They are always so thankful to receive the nice variety of home made food and I receive so many thank yous and God Bless yous.

It really makes you feel good to share with those less fortunate than you. So during your holiday gatherings if you have any extra food that you would like to share, remember the homeless.

By joesgirl

I work at a homeless shelter, and I agree that donating leftovers from a large get-together is a nice idea. Call ahead first to make sure that the shelter is able to accept the food. The families love the break from soup kitchen meals!

A family at an animal shelter.
Services Offered at Animal Shelters
blessing bags for the homeless
Making Blessing Bags for the Homeless
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:16:53 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.