Dog Has Diarrhea After Swimming in the Ocean

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

I did a Google search. So easy to do. I typed in "diarrhea salt water," and this was one of the results:

http://www.ehow  -water-dogs.html

If you need more information, you can do a search, too. And if your dog doesn't improve soon, you should contact his vet.

Depends on where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and a few years ago, my dog got Salmon poisoning at the river near the coast. Apparently there is a bacteria that lives on a parasite that lives on the fish. If your dog ingests the bacteria, it can kill them - even if they lick the ground where someone cleaned a fish previously. Midnight had diarrhea and wouldn't eat. He was extremely lethargic. He ended up spending several days on IV liquids and antibiotics at the vet, then he was fine. I researched afterword and it is a disease where they have a near 100% chance of survival if they are on an IV, but a greater than 50% chance of dying without. We get Salmon at the coast in Oregon. Anyway, if it doesn't get better within 24 hours, I'd call the vet.

It's the salt water. A lot of dogs will also get diarrhea after swimming in chlorinated water if they swallow a lot.

Get plain yogurt and a can of pumpkin mix several tablespoons of yogurt and add a tsp or 2 of pumpkin to it. Give it to the dog multiple times a day. The squirts will go away.