Share Seeds With Your Friends

It is mid January and already the seed catalogs are coming in the mail, the packages of seeds are in the store and anxiety begins of what are we going to plant. Sometimes when wanting to try something different, I know my little spots of trial produce won't use up the whole packet. OR when I am trying a variety of a plant and there are 9 seedlings to the pack. I buy what I want and then share with a variety of my friends. Between about 4 of us, there would be someone willing to take the extra seeds or seedlings. It is one way to try something new and not waste anything.

I keep the packet jacket with the info on it, staple or paste it to recycling paper from my basket, put the into into a notebook with sleeves for reference. If you have time, draw an outline of your gardens and make note of what seed went where. Tuck it in the front of the book. At the end of the growing season, evaluate the product you used. If you liked it, make sure it is on the list for the next year. If you don't want to plant as much, write down whom you shared the seeds/plants with.

I am so fortunate to have smart gardening friends who share their produce, plants, flowers, seeds, etc with each other. When I thin out abundant flowering plants, I know which neighbors need to add them. We work well recycling our gardens through many households.

By Joyce from Benson, MN