Trouble With A Sewing Machine

I was trying to fix a sluggish and squeaky sewing machine. I somehow managed to make it worse. The problem is the big wheel on the right hand side doesn't catch and therefore will spin and not move the "works" up and down like it is supposed to. The belt is on and I have cleaned and oiled every moving part I can find. Any ideas? It is a Simplicity Classic.

painterjayne from Minnesota

I know my sewing machine has a smaller wheel on the large one that is used to loosen and "disconnect" the needle drive while winding bobbins. It sounds like this might still be loose on yours? This may be an overly simple answer; but certainly worth a check.

It should be turned away from you to tighten it (clockwise).

Thanks for the feedback. I have tightened and loosened that smaller wheel and I still can't get the big wheel to engage the moving parts. When I rotate the smaller wheel counter clockwise it seems to have the force needed to make the parts move BUT when I turn the bigger wheel counter clockwise it won't engage. Also, when I turn the power on, same thing...with the little wheel tightened as it should be, the "big wheel keep on turnin" counter clockwise and doesn't engage.

Gosh, doesn't sound simple, then! I would take it to the sewing maching repair place, if it were mine, because I wouldn't want to mess it up while trying to fix it. Check your yellow pages; usually shops can give you an estimate before they do the work. I have been very happy with ours.

You accidentally kicked the machine out of gear. It's supposed to "pop out" for when you wind the bobbins (that way your machine won't go up & down as you wind your bobbins). Depending on your machine (each one works differently). First, see if you have a "button" in the center of the machines "big wheel on the right side". If so, then push it in & that should fix your problem!

But, on some machines, the bobbin winder moves to the left or the right & these kinds of machines don't have a button in the center of the wheel. If this is your machine then move the bobbin winder to the left or right. You will hear it click back in to gear. I'm pretty sure one of these things will fix your problem. If not & you have a belt-driven machine then your belt may be old & loose which causes slipping & you may need a newer, tighter belt (They cost under $10 at sewing & vacuum repair stores).

Write me here on ThriftyFun. I have a machine from just about every decade since 1913 & have owned lots of older machines from the 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's etc, etc. (I buy them at thrift stores) But, if it's a new "computer" machine, then I might not know how to help you, but if it's a classic machine then odds are I can help. First try what I suggested above, then drop me a note here on ThriftyFun & let me know what happened. Cyinda

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMay 5, 2008
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Cover
Making a Sewing Machine Cover
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄