Cleaning a Old Christening Gown

Christening gowns are often used for several generations. However, over time they may yellow with age. This is a guide about cleaning a old christening gown.

I have an antique crocheted christening gown that I need to carefully wash at home for my granddaughter. It has mildly yellowed with time. I will appreciate any help. It is all cotton.

By Andreina from Detroit, MI

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try soaking it in Oxiclean, it works wonderful.

I agree with Realtorrose, my sister did this with a baptismal outfit and it worked wonderfully!

My christening gown is 58 years old. My grandson is the third generation to wear it. Unfortunately it was a little yellow. I googled how to clean it and several people suggested oxi clean. I soaked it over night (in lukewarm water w/ one oxi clean pod in a clear glass bowl) and it worked beautifully. Thanks to oxi clean and all who suggested this.

The gown was in a cedar chest and now has rust looking spots in a few places.

By Susan

on the internet there is a product called retro clean. Its for things like what you want to clean. My friens used it and said its great.

Check out www.retroclean.com

My father's 1901 christening dress in showing signs of wear and tear after being used many times over the years. I would like to use it for my great granddaughter's christening, but don' know the safest way to clean it. What is safe way to wash it?

By Fran H.

Since this is delicate and sentimental please don't try to clean it yourself. Find a good dry cleaner that clean with "archival" quality products. If you have a local art museum the curator might be able to suggest one.

It depends on the fabric. I agree about contacting a local museum. You can also check on the internet on how to clean antique clothing. You need to be very careful with it.

I used to collect antique clothing and there are books on the subject.

I have a 93 year old christening dress that has yellow stains on it. How do I get them out gently?

By Ruby from Reading, MA

Google Sharon's solution it will do just what you want.

http://answers.  814085412AAMg2dj

Fill sink 3/4 full of water and add 14-18oz hydrogen peroxide, let it soak a few hours. Should not harm fabric.

How do your remove the yellowing stains from a 31 year old christening gown? This gown is crocheted with white yarn, and has a white satin slip.

By Joyce D.

We have a 68 year old christening dress which has yellowed around the collar and sleeves. How can we get it whiter?

By Carol

I have our 100 year old cotton, naturally hand sewn, christening gown. I need washing instructions and the best way to store the gown. I am 71 years old and the keeper, but when I pass I want cleaning instruction to pass on with the gown.

By Georgianna from Levittown, NY

How much Oxiclean would I use to clean a hand crocheted baptism outfit that is 32 years old and has yellowed?

By Kathy C

I need advice for getting the yellow out of a 51 year old christening dress. Any suggestions?

By Linda M from Spencertown, NY

What is the best way to clean a 32 year old satin christening outfit that has some yellowing? It was my daughter's and she wants to use it for my granddaughter.

By Debbie

Can anybody help? I have a 30 year old crocheted christening gown that my mother made for my son. He is now expecting his first baby and wants to use the gown, but with age, etc., the gown has gone yellow and more so on the folds where it has been folded for so long. How can I get it white again?

Lesley

Answers:

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

Put white vinegar on the spots, put in sunlight, let dry, repeat this till the spots are gone. I did this with a white evening gown. It worked for me, good luck. (02/24/2010)

By kffrmw88

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

Pros would use Orvus. (02/25/2010)

By muttmom

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

You didn't state whether the gown is crocheted with thread or yarn, but I'll assume since it's 30 years old it is crochet thread. I would try soaking it first in a pail, tub or container of some sort for a few hours with warm water (not hot) using 20 Mule Team Borax. It can be found at some Walmart stores (not all carry it). It should help to remove the yellowing and brighten it over all. If it doesn't get it totally out the first time, try soaking it again and re-wash. I use it in my white loads of laundry (and colored clothes also) and it does a wonderful job! Hope this helps. (02/27/2010)

By 1burrell

I have an old Christening gown that has been hanging in the furnace room for quite some time. I need to use it for my new granddaughter. It has turned slightly yellow especially the top part around the collar and chest. It was never completely white, but the old fashion off white. What can I do? I have washed it, but I am afraid to play around with it because of it being so delicate. Thanks.

By Carolyn from Lake George, NY

Answers:

Cleaning an Old Christening Gown

I have used Oxiclean to clean and brighten old dresser scarves, doll clothes, and such. I soak them in the kitchen sink, occasionally swishing them around. Let it soak for as long as it needs to look good, rinse well and dry flat. Good luck. (01/21/2010)

By suem1009

Cleaning an Old Christening Gown

Wash and hang in the sun. May take a couple of times. Good luck. (01/21/2010)

By boobaboo

Can Oxi clean whiten 32 year old christening gown? I am afraid to use this listed way even though I know it may work. The 1 cup dishwasher detergent w/tide and one cup clorex use to work great on my daughter's white nurses uniforms and my sons white football/baseball pants. I use to soak them overnight, then put through wash cycle. then I would put thru another wash cycle.

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

Answers:

Whitening a Christening Gown

A number of years ago, before Oxi clean was on the market, I had a similar problem. I used Biz and CloroxII (all fabric bleach) with great results. I would dissolve equal parts of each in a small amount of hot water and then add enough cold water to cover the clothing items. Add the clothing to the cooled down solution, not the hot. I think 1/2 cup of each to 1 or 1 1/2 gallon of water would work. I let this soak for several days and just checked it daily to see if the stains were gone yet. The dishwasher detergent works but I feel that it is a very strong bleach and might harm fragile fabrics. Dishwasher detergent also has a very fine abrasive ingredient in it to "scrub" the dirty dishes clean so I don't use it with any fabrics. My son's old baby clothes, and baptisimal outfit, were packed away clean, but 30 years later had ugly brown stains on them! I could only guess they were from old formula/spit up stains that appeared to be washed out but still remained in the fabric. I'm happy to report they all came out......much to my surprise and relief! (09/04/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Whitening a Christening Gown

If the Oxi-clean doesn't work, why not give old-fashioned laundry bluing a try?

It's recommended for delicate whites and can be used to soak and hand wash something like a Christening gown.

Here's the URL to some info on bluing:

http://www.walco-linck.com/bluette.html

Just a thought... (09/04/2006)

By sylviecyn

Whitening a Christening Gown

My mom uses CLASSIC IVORY SOAP.
We had several family heirloom articles that needed whitening.
Because they were old and fragile mom did not want to use harsh detergents with chemicals.
Lather the aritcle really well with the ivory soap (the classic bar...).
Let the article sit with the soap in it. The soap lather will whiten the article gently.... it may be necessary to repeat the process depending on how yellowed the gown is... (09/04/2006)

By Miss Cris