Cleaning a Old Christening Gown

Christening gowns are often used for several generations. However, over time they may yellow with age. This is a guide about cleaning a old christening gown.

December 17, 2008 Flag

I have a 41 year old lace christening gown that has yellowed and I would like to get it back to its original color of white. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Kathy from Frackville, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you to all who sent me answers in regards to the yellow christening dress. Today my neighbor and I soaked the dress in the Oxyclean and it came aout beautiful. I could not believe this product worked as well as it did. I would recommend this to anyone needing to remove yellow from an article.

Thanks again.

Kathy from Frackville, PA

Put white vinegar on the spots. Put in sunlight, let dry, repeat this till the spots are gone. I did this with a white evening gown. It worked for me, good luck.

Oxyclean is usually used with Hot water. Does it work with cool water. My sons christening gown is 33 years old and is yellow rather than white. The cap has a satin tie. He and his wife want to use it for their soon to arrive son. I don't want it to shrink. Please advise. Thanks, Clare

Just oxyclean. Did you use a mixture of water and the oxyclean?

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have an antique crocheted christening gown that I need to carefully wash at home for my granddaughter. It has mildly yellowed with time. I will appreciate any help. It is all cotton.

By Andreina from Detroit, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try soaking it in Oxiclean, it works wonderful.

I agree with Realtorrose, my sister did this with a baptismal outfit and it worked wonderfully!

My christening gown is 58 years old. My grandson is the third generation to wear it. Unfortunately it was a little yellow. I googled how to clean it and several people suggested oxi clean. I soaked it over night (in lukewarm water w/ one oxi clean pod in a clear glass bowl) and it worked beautifully. Thanks to oxi clean and all who suggested this.

March 13, 2015 Flag

The gown was in a cedar chest and now has rust looking spots in a few places.

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

on the internet there is a product called retro clean. Its for things like what you want to clean. My friens used it and said its great.

Check out www.retroclean.com

February 7, 2011 Flag

I'm trying to get my daughter's baptism dress whiter. Please help.

By Karen from Melrose, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about washing with Boraxo?

Soak it in Oxy Clean.

Yup, I agree with Bkvander, soak it in Oxyclean. My sister did one that was 70+ years old and it came out white as can be!

which oxyxlean? the powder and to what ratio of oxyclean to water. material is a little worn at the yellow stains. I need to be careful. thank you not on facebook or a thriftifun user.

January 18, 2012 Flag

My father's 1901 christening dress in showing signs of wear and tear after being used many times over the years. I would like to use it for my great granddaughter's christening, but don' know the safest way to clean it. What is safe way to wash it?

By Fran H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since this is delicate and sentimental please don't try to clean it yourself. Find a good dry cleaner that clean with "archival" quality products. If you have a local art museum the curator might be able to suggest one.

It depends on the fabric. I agree about contacting a local museum. You can also check on the internet on how to clean antique clothing. You need to be very careful with it.

I used to collect antique clothing and there are books on the subject.

May 8, 2010 Flag

I have a 93 year old christening dress that has yellow stains on it. How do I get them out gently?

By Ruby from Reading, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google Sharon's solution it will do just what you want.

http://answers.  814085412AAMg2dj

Fill sink 3/4 full of water and add 14-18oz hydrogen peroxide, let it soak a few hours. Should not harm fabric.

November 11, 2014 Flag

How do your remove the yellowing stains from a 31 year old christening gown? This gown is crocheted with white yarn, and has a white satin slip.

By Joyce D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 26, 2013 Flag

We have a 68 year old christening dress which has yellowed around the collar and sleeves. How can we get it whiter?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2013 Flag

I have our 100 year old cotton, naturally hand sewn, christening gown. I need washing instructions and the best way to store the gown. I am 71 years old and the keeper, but when I pass I want cleaning instruction to pass on with the gown.

By Georgianna from Levittown, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2012 Flag

What is the best way to clean a 32 year old satin christening outfit that has some yellowing? It was my daughter's and she wants to use it for my granddaughter.

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 12, 2013
Altering a Wedding Gown
Altering a Wedding Gown
Baptism Gift Idea
Baptism Gift Ideas
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 5:21:00 PM on 10.0.2.108 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.