Cleaning a Christening Dress

Category Clothing
A special baby gown is often handed down from generation to generation, and can be a challenge to clean. This is a guide about cleaning a christening dress.

I'm trying to get my daughter's baptism dress whiter. Please help.

By Karen from Melrose, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Yup, I agree with Bkvander, soak it in Oxyclean. My sister did one that was 70+ years old and it came out white as can be!

I want to used my old baptismal dress on a grandchild, but it is 40 years old and has turned yellow. How can I get it back to white?

By wavey from Nova Scotia, Canada

Answers:

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Believe it or not fill your sink and put in Dreft baby laundry soap, hot water and a 3/4 cup of bleach. Fill your sink full and mix the water well, add gown. Soak 10-15 minutes swishing gown and pulling up and down in water then letting sit in between. This gets all yellowing creases in gown. Check after ten minutes to see how white it is. If it needs a couple more minutes keep swishing. This way soap and bleach reach every part of gown. When satisfied drain sink, rinse thoroughly with warm water. Fill sink again with warm water and fabric softener only and repeat previous process. Soak and swish about 10 -15 minutes. Empty sink, wring out, and throw in dryer for 7 minutes on delicate then hang dry.

When it is dry, iron as necessary. (01/12/2010)

By DEBY

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Soak it in OxiClean, it will look like new. (01/12/2010)

By Rose Smith

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Maybe vinegar will help, just soak it a few minutes. Check to see what's going on or call a dry cleaner to see what they suggest. Good luck. (01/13/2010)

By kathleen williams

Cleaning a Christening Dress

First check to see what the fabric is before treating it with anything. (01/17/2010)

By Maya Lee

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Orvus is what the pros would use. (01/17/2010)

By vicki hood

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Don't take amateur advice on an heirloom dress. Take it to a good dry cleaner and get their advice. It depends on so many things; fabric, age, etc. (01/17/2010)

By Nan Corpe

How do you clean a 30 year old christening dress?

JEAN from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Cleaning a Christening Dress

We are expecting our very first grandchild in February. I was terrified to clean and whiten our family
heirloom christening dress which was hand made in 1935. I used a soaking solution of Clorox Oxygen Action, warm water, and a sprinkle of laundry soap, soaking for about 15 minutes. The soft batiste fabric is now beautifully white and clean, and I am very happy with the results. (09/16/2006)

By cindy

Christening gowns are often used for several generations. However, over time they may yellow with age. This is a page has advice about how to clean an old christening gown.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1