Removing Set-in Grease Stains

How do I remove set in grease stains?

By sblevins71 from Creston, NC

Lestoil is a strong grease remover, but it has a strong smell. Just treat the spots and let it sit a while, rubbing the material together, then launder. The stain may need several treatments.

I have had good luck using a spray cleaner from dollar stores called Awesome--it's an amber colored liquid.

WD40. I know this sounds wacky, but it works. Spray the spot with the WD40 and let sit until soft. Saturate the spot. When it has softened, spray with a spot remover like spray and wash, let sit again and then rinse out as much of the oil as you can in warm water. Spray and wash again, let sit until you do the laundry and wash as usual.

I use either Dawn liquid soap or talcum powder,sprinkle the powder right on the stain,this can be done even after you dried the article in the dryer, or before you dry it, cover the spot with powder, throw it in the dryer. The dawn way,pre-treat with dawn, then run through the washer.

Thanks to Mary Hunt and her Everyday Cheapstake newsletter, I discovered Soilove. I had shirts with grease stains from cooking that I could no longer wear except around the house. They had been washed and dried numerous times.

I ordered the Soilove on-line from Soaps Gone Buy

and could not believe that these set in stains disappeared after just one treatment!

The web site is

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Spray wd-40 on the stain, let it sit for 10 min, then rinse it out with water. Follow with a laundry pre-treat stain remover (Spray n Wash, etc), then launder.

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 19, 2009
Steam cleaning Upholstery
Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl
Cleaning Food Oil Stains from T-Shirts
Woman in white lace shirt gazing down
Removing Grease Stains on Lace Clothing