Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Aluminum Foil Stuck to the Bottom of My Oven

I have some aluminum foil that accidentally got "baked" onto the oven bottom; any ideas to get it off? Everything I've tried hasn't worked for me. Thank you. (Tried oven cleaner, Ajax, soaking with extra strength cleaner then scrubbing, and steel wool pads. It is a new oven with blue color inside.

By Nancy from Paradise, TX

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Aluminum Foil Stuck to the Bottom of My Oven

I got aluminum foil stuck to the bottom of my oven. I already used oven cleaner and it will not come off. What should I do next?

Thank you,
Nancy from Tucson, AZ

RE: Aluminum Foil Stuck to the Bottom of My Oven

I would probably try the self-cleaning feature on my oven first, but if yours doesn't have one, you might try a paste solution of baking soda and white vinegar. With my old stove this is what I used to clean my oven with, and it worked very well.

Pour enough baking soda to cover the affected area well. Use just enough white vinegar to wet the soda. Leave the mixture on the area for a long time; overnight, if possible. The resulting chemical reaction should do most of the work for you. If need be, repeat the procedure. (10/03/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

I did the same thing. Aluminum foil stuck to the bottom of my new range. Did the baking soda and vinegar work? (11/02/2008)

By Jane.

I have a self cleaning oven. While baking lasagna, cheese overflowed and then foil was put in place to catch it. Now, the foil has completely stuck onto the bottom of the oven. Can I use the self cleaning feature to remove it?

By llmcgowan from Simi Valley, CA

I wouldn't take that chance if I were you and use the self clean. Try soaking an old rag in some hot water, wring it out and place it over the aluminum foil stuck to the bottom of your oven. You will have to remove it the old way by using some elbow grease. It will take some time, but you should be able to peel it away piece by piece. (04/30/2009)

By MCW

I would think the self-clean feature would turn the cheese to ash, so the foil would come off. (05/05/2009)

By kimhis

Sure. The same thing happened to me and the self-cleaning oven just turned the foil to ash. (05/10/2009)

By Goldie2