Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

I have a clogged drain in my clothes washing machine. We live upstairs and the pipe is too long for a snake. Can I try to fix this myself?

By Margaret from Fullerton, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I recently had this very same problem. I found a product at the hardware store called "Liquid Lightning" which cleared up the blockage in about 15 minutes. Just follow the directions on the bottle. A word of caution: avoid any of this product splashing on you, it actually ate little holes in my T-shirt! So I knew it had to be working on lint in the drain!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

October 19, 2010 Flag

How do you clean out a drain from your washing machine?

By Cathy from Apple Valley, CA

Answers:

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

It's possible that it's clogged with a combination of lint and suds. You may have to run a 'snake' to dislodge everything. One other way, is to go to a very good Paint Store (for professionals and contractors) and get a box of TSP (TriSodium Phosphate). Get a large Stain. Steel pot (4-6qts) and boil the water; then add 1 cup of TSP; stir well to dissolve. Remove drain hose from pipe, and (with a large funnel) pour the TSP down the pipe. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times depending on how bad the clog is but the pipe will be 'whistle clean' when finished. (02/18/2010)

By Cajun62234

February 15, 2010 Flag

My washing machine works, however, during the spin cycle water gushes out of the drain pipe and leaves a flood on the floor. What can I do to clear out the drain line? Thank you.

Ann

Answers:

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

We had to get a snake to unclog ours. A snake is a coiled wire that will go down the drain and you turn it to loosen the clog. There are two kinds that you can get. One is like a spring and the other is flat. I would get the coiled one. We got one that was over 20 feet for about $20.00 at Lowes. (02/06/2009)

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

I have had the same problem. I used regular Drano or any other pipe unclogger as I would the kitchen or bathroom sink. Just remember to pour hot water down it. (02/06/2009)

By Jane32425

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

My husband put the garden hose down the washing machine drain, and turned it on high. This forced the clog out. (02/14/2009)

By Loretta B.

man with head inside front load washer
Clearing a Clogged Washer Drain
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersOctober 19, 2010
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 8:20:13 AM on 10.0.2.243 in 872 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.