Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

I have a clogged drain in my clothes washing machine. We live upstairs and the pipe is too long for a snake. Can I try to fix this myself?

By Margaret from Fullerton, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lynda Tracy [2]10/20/2010

I recently had this very same problem. I found a product at the hardware store called "Liquid Lightning" which cleared up the blockage in about 15 minutes. Just follow the directions on the bottle. A word of caution: avoid any of this product splashing on you, it actually ate little holes in my T-shirt! So I knew it had to be working on lint in the drain!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

My washing machine works, however, during the spin cycle water gushes out of the drain pipe and leaves a flood on the floor. What can I do to clear out the drain line? Thank you.

Ann

RE: Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

We had to get a snake to unclog ours. A snake is a coiled wire that will go down the drain and you turn it to loosen the clog. There are two kinds that you can get. One is like a spring and the other is flat. I would get the coiled one. We got one that was over 20 feet for about $20.00 at Lowes. (02/06/2009)

I have had the same problem. I used regular Drano or any other pipe unclogger as I would the kitchen or bathroom sink. Just remember to pour hot water down it. (02/06/2009)

By Jane32425

My husband put the garden hose down the washing machine drain, and turned it on high. This forced the clog out. (02/14/2009)

By Loretta B.

How do you clean out a drain from your washing machine?

By Cathy from Apple Valley, CA

It's possible that it's clogged with a combination of lint and suds. You may have to run a 'snake' to dislodge everything. One other way, is to go to a very good Paint Store (for professionals and contractors) and get a box of TSP (TriSodium Phosphate). Get a large Stain. Steel pot (4-6qts) and boil the water; then add 1 cup of TSP; stir well to dissolve. Remove drain hose from pipe, and (with a large funnel) pour the TSP down the pipe. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times depending on how bad the clog is but the pipe will be 'whistle clean' when finished. (02/18/2010)

By Cajun62234