Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

I have a clogged drain in my clothes washing machine. We live upstairs and the pipe is too long for a snake. Can I try to fix this myself?

By Margaret from Fullerton, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I recently had this very same problem. I found a product at the hardware store called "Liquid Lightning" which cleared up the blockage in about 15 minutes. Just follow the directions on the bottle. A word of caution: avoid any of this product splashing on you, it actually ate little holes in my T-shirt! So I knew it had to be working on lint in the drain!

Answer

How do you clean out a drain from your washing machine?

By Cathy from Apple Valley, CA

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

It's possible that it's clogged with a combination of lint and suds. You may have to run a 'snake' to dislodge everything. One other way, is to go to a very good Paint Store (for professionals and contractors) and get a box of TSP (TriSodium Phosphate). Get a large Stain. Steel pot (4-6qts) and boil the water; then add 1 cup of TSP; stir well to dissolve. Remove drain hose from pipe, and (with a large funnel) pour the TSP down the pipe. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times depending on how bad the clog is but the pipe will be 'whistle clean' when finished. (02/18/2010)

By Cajun62234

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My washing machine works, however, during the spin cycle water gushes out of the drain pipe and leaves a flood on the floor. What can I do to clear out the drain line? Thank you.

Ann

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

We had to get a snake to unclog ours. A snake is a coiled wire that will go down the drain and you turn it to loosen the clog. There are two kinds that you can get. One is like a spring and the other is flat. I would get the coiled one. We got one that was over 20 feet for about $20.00 at Lowes. (02/06/2009)

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

I have had the same problem. I used regular Drano or any other pipe unclogger as I would the kitchen or bathroom sink. Just remember to pour hot water down it. (02/06/2009)

By Jane32425

Unclogging Washing Machine Drain Pipe

My husband put the garden hose down the washing machine drain, and turned it on high. This forced the clog out. (02/14/2009)

By Loretta B.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
man with head inside front load washer
Clearing a Clogged Washer Drain
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersOctober 19, 2010
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 11:00:25 PM on 10.0.1.96 in 629 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.