Dog Keeps Eating Flowers

Does anyone have a problem with their dogs eating flowers? My dogs will either eat flowers I plant or pull them up after I have gone in. I'm just about ready to stop planting because of my dogs messing up all my hard work! Are they missing something in their diet maybe?

Janine from Corinth, KY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

No, they are just doing what comes natural, digging. You didn't mention the age of your dogs. For young dogs it's very common. You could put an inexpensive fence around them to discourage them. Personally I don't mess w/flowers because I don't want to maintain them. Also make sure the flowers aren't poisonous to dogs. Do a search on the internet to find out. There are quite a few plants that are poisonous to them.

Some dogs just have that instinct in them. I have a dog that eats my tomatoes just as soon as they start turning red. He has eaten rose bushes, butterfly bushes, and other flowers too numerous to mention! I am having better luck this summer. He is 3 now, which I think helps, but also, after I plant something, I stay around and watch. When I see him "go for it", I GENTLEY give his collar a jerk, and tell him no. I'll give him a stick or toy to play with then and redirect him. So far that has worked. This spring, I was planting two plumbagos, and while I was planting one, my dog was grabbing the other to take off with it behind my back! I turned just in time, and took it away from him!

Thanks for your feedback. They are still young, one is almost 2 and the other is about 1 1/2. I got them from the pound and even they weren't sure about the ages. They do watch what I do and then when I am inside they destroy. I have just about given up on flowers this year because of them.I have had to put fence up around the garden. Last year they didn't bother the garden at all. I live on a big farm and I guess I thought they would just keep busy on it.

Answer

dog eating plants
Keeping Dogs from Eating Plants
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 11, 2008
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A grasshopper on a pink flower.
Grasshoppers Eating Flowers
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2016 at 8:23:34 AM on 10.0.1.158 in 705 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.