Getting Rid of Odors in a Cement Basement

I live in a 75 year old house and the cement basement smells horrible. It has a small pantry and a furnace room only. When I use the furnace the smell comes through the heat vents upstairs. I have mopped the floors with bleach, placed Damp Rid and other odor eaters down there and nothing seems to get rid of it. I have dryer sheets over the vents upstairs to mask the smell. Any ideas?

KC from SE Idaho

Have you tried putting Arm and Hammer kitty litter in a box, in that room? That will help the odor because of the baking soda in it. It help my closet when I had a water leak.

Try a dehumidifier, most likely your basement is damp and this will remove the moisture. When I moved in our home, I couldn't keep the basement door open because of the smell. It took several months but, now we have a family room & work-out room down there. Good Luck

We had that same problem when we bought our house a couple of years ago. It seems the cement floor had absorbed (I won't say), but the real repair came when we painted it with floor paint. It took a couple of months for the paint to form a complete seal, but we haven't had any problems with odors since.

I really hope this solves your problem.

I know that plain charcoal absorbs odors. I have also used a dehumidifier and it worked wonders, just keep a check on water levels because it can fill up quick.

Lots of good ideas, guys, thanks for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Plain Charcoal, and a dehumidifier. We also have damp rid.

I have an old house too. You need to seal the walls and the concrete with something made for concrete, whether it be a water-proofer or a paint made for cement. Also a dehumidfier would probably help tremendously by aiding in taking any mold and mildew spores out of the air.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceOctober 28, 2008
Stains on Cement
Removing Stains on Cement
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
unfinished basement
Removing Odors from a Basement
🎄