AdviceCleaning

Getting Rid of Odors in a Cement Basement

I live in a 75 year old house and the cement basement smells horrible. It has a small pantry and a furnace room only. When I use the furnace the smell comes through the heat vents upstairs. I have mopped the floors with bleach, placed Damp Rid and other odor eaters down there and nothing seems to get rid of it. I have dryer sheets over the vents upstairs to mask the smell. Any ideas?

KC from SE Idaho

Have you tried putting Arm and Hammer kitty litter in a box, in that room? That will help the odor because of the baking soda in it. It help my closet when I had a water leak.

Try a dehumidifier, most likely your basement is damp and this will remove the moisture. When I moved in our home, I couldn't keep the basement door open because of the smell. It took several months but, now we have a family room & work-out room down there. Good Luck

We had that same problem when we bought our house a couple of years ago. It seems the cement floor had absorbed (I won't say), but the real repair came when we painted it with floor paint. It took a couple of months for the paint to form a complete seal, but we haven't had any problems with odors since.

I really hope this solves your problem.

I know that plain charcoal absorbs odors. I have also used a dehumidifier and it worked wonders, just keep a check on water levels because it can fill up quick.

Lots of good ideas, guys, thanks for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Plain Charcoal, and a dehumidifier. We also have damp rid.

I have an old house too. You need to seal the walls and the concrete with something made for concrete, whether it be a water-proofer or a paint made for cement. Also a dehumidfier would probably help tremendously by aiding in taking any mold and mildew spores out of the air.