Pinto Bean Pie

You might not believe this recipe but it is real and it works. It looks and taste a lot like pecan pie.

• 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups of mashed pinto beans
  • 1 egg beaten plus 2 egg yolks beaten.

Directions:

Mash beans until they are completely mashed. Combine sugar, spices, add beans, egg, egg yolks and mix. Bake at 350 degrees F. in a pie shell for 1 hour 10 minutes.

If you like, you can add 1/2 cup coconut.

It sounds so strange it took me a long time before I was brave enough to try it but I was pleasantly surprised. You might be too. Let me know what you think.

Source: Shared by a friend 25 years ago

By Connie H from Smithville, TN

I made this pie, and it is not bad, but it needs more taste, was not much to it. Fun to make, and serve, but little taste.

(submitted via email)

Dear Thrifty Fun.Com, I enjoy receiving the newsletter, however I'm having trouble logging in. It's been awhile since I registered and I'm not one to spend much time on the computer other than when necessary.

While viewing most recent newsletter a recipe I was pleasantly surprised and in shock I had finally found a recipe I had been searching for for years. I wanted to thank her for her contribution & hope she does well in the recipe contest.

Due to traveling while serving in ministry living near the Mexican border, living in New Mexico and Texas; Pinto Bean Pie was often brought to pot luck dinners, and get togethers.

The first time I ate pie I had no idea what kind of pie I was getting. I noticed others getting particular pie,visually looking similar to a southern favorite, pecan pie. It's an unusual combination, but was good. I'm hoping it's the same recipe.

Again, Thank-you for all who share. Regular viewer of Thrifty Fun.com

Shelah -Memphis, TN.

Possibly to add flavor you can use some bourbon or brown sugar instead of white sugar. If you add the bourbon, possibly remove the vanilla?

I have a cookbook that is over 110 years old and this recipe is in it. Glad to see the ingredient amounts as my old cookbook has sizes such as "a piece of butter the size of a walnut". Back then you had no grocery on each street corner selling fruit all year round. I have never made it yet, but someday I will. :-)

I made a pie like these several years ago and we liked it very much. I will try this recipe for sure, and add the coconut!

Pinto Beans on White Background
Recipes Using Pinto Beans
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesJuly 13, 2009
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
black bean burger
Bean Burger Recipes
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean Salad Recipes
🎄
🍂