My Frugal Life: Buying Items at Country Auctions

We are retired and are living on a fixed income. Being frugal has become a way of living. We shop the specials at the supermarkets and I have a vegetable garden. Our clothes often come from thrift stores or yard sales. I like to decorate and make my home nice and I never feel deprived.

We attend country auctions where we often find curtains, bed linens, tablecloths, wall decorations, pictures, throw rugs, candles, etc. in box lots for a very low bid. The auction items I don't use for my home, I often sell over EBay. We often sell on week-ends at our local flea market to make extra money.

It is wonderful to keep money for ourselves instead of giving it to the supermarket chains and department stores. Now we are saving for a vacation. As you can see, thriftiness has its own reward.

NellieMary from West Virginia

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

What's your ID on ebay so we can check out your auctions?

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 20, 2006
Computer screen on the online auction website, eBay.
How to Use Online Auctions and Not Get Burned
Buying a Car at Auction, Car for Auction With Gavel in Foreground
Buying a Car at Auction
African baby in a t-shirt.
Adopting a Child from a Foreign Country
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items