Trash Bag Bird Bath

I like to put a trash bag, folded in half or to whatever size I want it and held down by rocks out in the garden and then when it rains, the water puddles and makes a great bird bath. They appear to just love it. You can use recycled plastic or garbage bags for it. They enjoy taking a bath so much in the summer.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

I love the way you care about wildlife! But my cat would have a hay-day with these birds hopping around & bathing on the ground! In fact, just last week, he brought 2 of them into our kitchen. Thankfully unharmed, but we had the hardest time getting them safely out of the house as they flew around our living space! This makes 6 birds in the past 3 years (along with one snake (which we couldn't find, it's still somewhere in the house!) one baby mole, 7 mice & 9 rabbits. Thankfully, most of them were unharmed & just brought into our home to say "look at what I can do".

Also, my mother is always telling me how in Texas they are always posting warnings about birdbaths & changing the water daily, because of mosquitoes & west Nile virus. Your idea seems like it would solve this problem because the water would evaporate before the 2 days it takes for mosquitoes to hatch. Thank You!

I like this idea. Thanks for posting. Do you dig a little hollow first before you lay the plastic down? Seems like that would give it a bit of stability and a bit of depth. I do something similar by putting large rocks in the garden that have natural hollows on top where water can collect. Love watching the birds finding these secret baths.