Washer Spins Slowly and Will Not Drain

My washing machine cycles through the wash cycles fine. The spin cycle has stopped working properly. It spins slowly and will not drain. But it will also leak all over the floor sometimes. I tested the switch and it is fine. If the other cycles drain fine, doesn't that mean the pump works?

By Scott from Durham, NC

What brand do you have? Some washers spin the water over the top of the inner tub into the outer tub. If your drain into the pump is partially clogged, or the pump has an article of clothing in it, the centrifugal force will spin the water right over the outer tub and onto the floor. One way to tell if your machine slings water over the inner tub wall is that the tub won't have any holes in it. Usually my experience with washer repair is that something has gotten in the washer drain system and won't let it drain fast enough. Most pumps these days are sealed and you can't take them apart. You just have to disconnect your machine from everything, drain the water, take off hoses from the pump one at a time and look for missing socks, under clothes and such. Sometimes the clothing or articles haven't made into the pump yet, and are lingering around the drain in the outer tub. Having said all of that, it would be best to know what kind of machine you have so I can look it up. Hope this helps.

It is a Frigidaire

When my 25 year old Maytag washer leaked water all over the floor one day during the first spin cycle, my husband took the front panel off and found that a hose had come loose. Once he put that on, which has been a year and a half ago, I have not had any further problems. This is my second Maytag I have had in my 52 year marriage and only bought the current one in 1984 due to giving my first one to a son afer he married and had our first grandchild.

I do have a niece that paid a fortune for the newer type Maytags about five years ago. She absolutely hates them and rues the day she bought them. I think Maytag is no longer the company that it once was.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersAugust 15, 2010
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Top Loading Washer
Top Loading Washer Not Draining
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎄