Blinds and CurtainsCleaning

Hair Dye on Curtains

I accidentally got brown permanent hair dye on a plain cream faux-silk curtain. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove it, or make it less noticeable? Thanks.

By Jan from Grantham, UK

If the dye didn't cause holes in the curtains and all removal efforts fail you can buy more dye and color the whole curtain.

Saturate the stain with ordinary hair spray. Let it dry. Then launder. If your shower curtain is polyester, this will work easily. I learned this in beauty school, a long, long time ago and still use it. Repeat if necessary. It does work better on synthetics and blends.

Anonymous

A couple more Cosmetologist tricks (Am thirty seven year long licensed so have seen my fair share of these oopsies) are a salt and warm water paste with a tooth brush and also Clairol sells a product called "Clean Touch". I don't know if you have Sally Beauty Supply in UK but if the hairspray and salt paste don't work then try the Clean Touch. If those three don't work, sadly, nothing will :-(

Oh my, I had to laugh at this. I am sorry. I have a daughter who just turned 17 last week. She has been in cosmotogy school since 9th grade. Her bathroom has been used as a salon for her and all her cosmo friends. They practice on each other. I have gone through so many towels, rugs etc. I had no idea that there was a solution to hair dye getting on things that are not hair or skin. Thanks to the other responders for the suggestions. I am going to print and give to my dd.

You must apply hairspray to the stain while the stain is wet. Then wash as usual. This will and should remove hair color from fabrics. Works for me.