Light Corn Syrup Substitute

I have used this recipe several times, I have also given this recipe to my Wilton Cake Decorating Students. One of my students went to culinary school, she told me that this recipe is a wonderful substitute for Karo Syrup.

Ingredients

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan (stainless). Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage, 238 -240 degrees F.

Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months.

Makes almost 2 cups.

By Mary from Atascadero, CA

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Thank you! Have been searching for this for long time. It is better than using White Corn Syrup.

I also cheat with it and use the Splenda for baking (the one with some sugar in it.) Can't tell the difference and cuts down on the sweetener.

Thank you so much for this info. Saved me from having to run to the store and to listen to my husband complain about how unhealthy corn syrup is.

Be advised: don't cook the sugar/water/cream of tartar syrup too long. Not being at home and not having a thermometer, I guessed at the time for stopping the cooking. I was wrong. The syrup thickens a lot as it cools.

Comment

Honey Substitute for Corn Syrup
Substitutes For Corn Syrup
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsOctober 23, 2007
Pouring Karo corn syrup into a measuring cup.
Karo Syrup Cookie Recipes
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 7, 2016 at 10:13:17 AM on 10.0.0.118 in 292 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.