Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Smelly Drains

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
sink drain

Bacteria growing in your drain can produce odors that waft throughout the house. This is a guide about cleaning smelly drains.

Here are questions related to Cleaning Smelly Drains.

Question: Removing Odor in Bathroom Drain Pipes

How to remove odor that comes up from the tub drain when taking a shower or doing laundry?

By C. F.

Question: Cleaning a Smelly Shower Drain

How do I keep my shower drain from smelling foul?

By Maria

Most Recent Answer

By Carol D. [5]11/21/2011

Use baking soda and vinegar. Or baking soda and lemon juice or lime juice.

Question: Smelly Bathroom Sink Drain

I have an odor coming from the overflow drain in my bathroom sink. What is causes it and how do I get rid of it?

By Lynda

Most Recent Answer

By Diane [3]03/31/2010

I put a small amount of chlorine with water down it. I haven't had a problem since.

Question: Sink Smells Bad

My sink has a moldy, mildew smell that I cannot figure out. It smells like a dishrag that has soured. I do not have a disposal or anything, it is just a plain sink. I have looked under my sink and there is a small dried puddle but it does not stink under there at all and it does not seem to be leaking anymore for whatever reason.

I have used bleach and I did the baking soda and vinegar thing. It works for a day or two and then that smell is back. I can walk by and get a whiff of that smell and it makes me furious! What can I do? Is there a service for this?

By sweetie6116 from GA

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia [11]08/27/2009

You can also crush up some denture cleaning tablets or alka seltzer tablets throw them in the drain & add a cup of water and let it bubble for a little while, then flush with hot water.

Question: Smelly Drains

How can you get rid of smells coming from the sink drain?

Karen from MI

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Nicholas [13]03/04/2009

Use 1/2 cup of salt (I like a more course salt, but regular salt works fine), pour this down the drain. Next pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain. Now get ready to cap the drain quickly, pour 1 cup of white vinegar down the drain and cap it until the bubbles stop, about 1 minute. Kids love watching that part. Next follow with a kettle full of boiling water. Use hot tap water to clean up any spilled salt or soda in the sink.

The salt acts as a corrosive to clean the drain walls, the baking soda is an odor absorber and acts with the vinegar to "shake-up" the salt when it bubbles and the vinegar is acidic for cleaning and an odor eliminator. The boiling water helps dissolve the salt and washes away any leftover gunk in the drain. Clean your drains once a month and it prevents clogs too.

This was taught to me by the clean water council as an alternative to the dangerous and caustic chemical drain cleaners. It's thrifty and efficient and best of all won't burn your skin or lungs like commercial cleaners.

Question: Musty Smelling Sink Drain

What can I do to get rid of a musty smell coming from the sink drain?

Stephen from Penns Creek, PA

Most Recent Answer

By badwater [242]10/19/2008

Homemade Drain Cleaner

Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into your drain, add 1 cup white vinegar. Allow this to bubble for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup boiling water, & let stand for 5 minutes longer. Then flush running tap water through for a few minutes. If you have a double sink, do one side first before doing the other side. Not both at the same time.

Solutions: Cleaning Smelly Drains

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!