Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Smelly Drains

0 0EmailFollow
sink drain

Bacteria growing in your drain can produce odors that waft throughout the house. This is a guide about cleaning smelly drains.

Here are questions related to Cleaning Smelly Drains.

Question: Sink Smells Bad

My sink has a moldy, mildew smell that I cannot figure out. It smells like a dishrag that has soured. I do not have a disposal or anything, it is just a plain sink. I have looked under my sink and there is a small dried puddle but it does not stink under there at all and it does not seem to be leaking anymore for whatever reason.

I have used bleach and I did the baking soda and vinegar thing. It works for a day or two and then that smell is back. I can walk by and get a whiff of that smell and it makes me furious! What can I do? Is there a service for this?

By sweetie6116 from GA

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia [11]08/27/2009

You can also crush up some denture cleaning tablets or alka seltzer tablets throw them in the drain & add a cup of water and let it bubble for a little while, then flush with hot water.

Question: Musty Smelling Sink Drain

What can I do to get rid of a musty smell coming from the sink drain?

Stephen from Penns Creek, PA

Most Recent Answer

By badwater [242]10/19/2008

Homemade Drain Cleaner

Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into your drain, add 1 cup white vinegar. Allow this to bubble for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup boiling water, & let stand for 5 minutes longer. Then flush running tap water through for a few minutes. If you have a double sink, do one side first before doing the other side. Not both at the same time.

Question: Smelly Drains

How can you get rid of smells coming from the sink drain?

Karen from MI

Most Recent Answer

By Pam M.04/30/2015

I tried the 1/2 cup each of salt & baking soda. I couldn't fit that much in my drain because of the bend for my double sink. It clogged everything up & I had to get out the plunger. I tried a 2nd time with 1/4 each of salt & vinegar. I could hear the bubbling in the 2nd sink drain. It seems that has cured the problem, but my nose is full of the smell of vinegar. I'll know by tomorrow if it really worked.

Question: Sour Smell from Kitchen Drain

My kitchen still has a "sour smell" emanating from the kitchen drain. I cleaned the garbage disposal with lots of ice cubes and lots of running water. I have a septic tank which was pumped 3 months ago and I was told I should never use bleach because it deteriorates the seals? A while back I tried baking soda and vinegar, but it didn't help long. I also have a dishwasher. Jeez. Someone please tell me what else I can do.

By Maryann

Most Recent Answer

By Marty Dick [151]03/02/2015

I will assume it isn't beyond the disposal unit. I used to put citrus peelings through my disposal. just the peelings ... no pulp, seeds or stringy stuff. It makes it smell really fresh and clean. Another thing I remember my Mama doing when I was a little kid was to pour boiling water down the kitchen sink. We had no disposal so she had to keep things super clean.

Question: Smelly Bathroom Sink Drain

I have an odor coming from the overflow drain in my bathroom sink. What is causes it and how do I get rid of it?

By Lynda

Most Recent Answer

By Diane [3]03/31/2010

I put a small amount of chlorine with water down it. I haven't had a problem since.

Question: Cleaning a Smelly Shower Drain

How do I keep my shower drain from smelling foul?

By Maria

Most Recent Answer

By Carol D. [5]11/21/2011

Use baking soda and vinegar. Or baking soda and lemon juice or lime juice.

Question: Removing Odor in Bathroom Drain Pipes

How to remove odor that comes up from the tub drain when taking a shower or doing laundry?

By C. F.

Solutions: Cleaning Smelly Drains

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!