Cleaning Smelly Drains

Bacteria growing in your drain can produce odors that waft throughout the house. This is a guide about cleaning smelly drains.

sink drain
Filter Sort

Question: Mildew Smell Coming From My Sink

By Jen Bennett 3 11

I am in need of some help with my kitchen sink. It has a mildew/mold smell coming out of it, it has the slots in it so i can't stick anything down it and I don't have a garbage disposal. I have tried lemon juice, bleach, baking soda and don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jen from Eau Claire, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

March 17, 2011 Flag

I get a mildew smell coming out of my washing machine. Any idea what is going on? And, how do I get rid of it? c major

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sink Smells Bad

By Paula Scott 27 20

My sink has a moldy, mildew smell that I cannot figure out. It smells like a dishrag that has soured. I do not have a disposal or anything, it is just a plain sink. I have looked under my sink and there is a small dried puddle but it does not stink under there at all and it does not seem to be leaking anymore for whatever reason.

I have used bleach and I did the baking soda and vinegar thing. It works for a day or two and then that smell is back. I can walk by and get a whiff of that smell and it makes me furious! What can I do? Is there a service for this?

By sweetie6116 from GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia 13 115 Flag

You can also crush up some denture cleaning tablets or alka seltzer tablets throw them in the drain & add a cup of water and let it bubble for a little while, then flush with hot water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Smelling Sink Drain

By Stephen 1

What can I do to get rid of a musty smell coming from the sink drain?

Stephen from Penns Creek, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By badwater 263 654 Flag

Homemade Drain Cleaner

Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into your drain, add 1 cup white vinegar. Allow this to bubble for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup boiling water, & let stand for 5 minutes longer. Then flush running tap water through for a few minutes. If you have a double sink, do one side first before doing the other side. Not both at the same time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smelly Drains

By Karen 1

How can you get rid of smells coming from the sink drain?

Karen from MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pam M. 1 Flag

I tried the 1/2 cup each of salt & baking soda. I couldn't fit that much in my drain because of the bend for my double sink. It clogged everything up & I had to get out the plunger. I tried a 2nd time with 1/4 each of salt & vinegar. I could hear the bubbling in the 2nd sink drain. It seems that has cured the problem, but my nose is full of the smell of vinegar. I'll know by tomorrow if it really worked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sour Smell from Kitchen Drain

My kitchen still has a "sour smell" emanating from the kitchen drain. I cleaned the garbage disposal with lots of ice cubes and lots of running water. I have a septic tank which was pumped 3 months ago and I was told I should never use bleach because it deteriorates the seals? A while back I tried baking soda and vinegar, but it didn't help long. I also have a dishwasher. Jeez. Someone please tell me what else I can do.

By Maryann

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

I will assume it isn't beyond the disposal unit. I used to put citrus peelings through my disposal. just the peelings ... no pulp, seeds or stringy stuff. It makes it smell really fresh and clean. Another thing I remember my Mama doing when I was a little kid was to pour boiling water down the kitchen sink. We had no disposal so she had to keep things super clean.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smelly Bathroom Sink Drain

By Lynda 49 74

I have an odor coming from the overflow drain in my bathroom sink. What is causes it and how do I get rid of it?

By Lynda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diane 3 17 Flag

I put a small amount of chlorine with water down it. I haven't had a problem since.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Mold in Sink Drain

By Ann C. 1 1

Like a lot of others who have asked similar questions, I too have moldy and bad odors coming from my drains. When we shower or run the water, or let the water out, there is a bad odor, and moldy odors that travel throughout the house through the AC vents. I can see the mold on the inside of the PVC pipe in one side of the kitchen drain. I have tried bleach, and baking soda and white vinegar.

When I have mold start on the caulk on the side of the tub, I spray bleach on it, and it sets and gets rid of the mold. But how can I plug up the inside of the sink drain, so the bleach or whatever, can set right there on the mold to soak it and remove it. Anything poured down the drain just runs off and can't set on it and soak it. Is there something that I can put down the drain to temporarily plug it up in there, so the bleach can soak the mold loose off the inside of the drain? Something that could dissolve slowly. A plumber wants to sell us a $50.00 gallon of stuff, but how can it soak it if it just runs on down the drain? I wish I could get a small scrub brush down the drain to scrub he mold off. Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gerrygerry T. 1 Flag

I had the same problem a few years when I went away to Holland to stay 2 weeks with one of my sons. When I returned there was a horrible odour in the kitchen, before I filled the kettle for my cup of tea, I had a good look at the little drain-hole in my steel sink, it had a wee screw in the middle; I got a screw-driver and removed same, then took the fitting off, poured bleach and bicarb soda and lemon juice in to the hole, and with a thin bottle brush scrubbed all down the insides (the amount of black that came off was quite a surprise).

Boiled the kettle up and poured this down the plug hole. Then put everything back in place in the plug hole and screwed the wee screw back in the sink hole. What a lovely odour I had ever since. Try this, it worked for me. Cheers, Geraldine in Coventry West Mids.

PS Be sure to insure the wee screw is tightened securely, or else you will have a leak!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning a Smelly Shower Drain

How do I keep my shower drain from smelling foul?

By Maria

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol D. 5 30 Flag

Use baking soda and vinegar. Or baking soda and lemon juice or lime juice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Odor in Bathroom Drain Pipes

By carolynannsf19 1

How to remove odor that comes up from the tub drain when taking a shower or doing laundry?

By C. F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 12, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Dirty tennis shoes.
    Cleaning Tennis Shoes
    Smelly Hands
    Remedy for Smelly Hands
    Hair Clogging Drain
    Preventing Clogged Drains
    kitchen drain
    Gurgling Drains
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:51:11 AM on 10.0.1.214 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings