Musty Smelling Sink Drain

What can I do to get rid of a musty smell coming from the sink drain?

Stephen from Penns Creek, PA

Best Answer

Baking soda is recommended to freshen drains. Put water in with it,as vguy says. Don't bother with vinegar -- it will neutralize the baking soda, so it wont' do its job. If you use bleach, do not use it with the baking soda, as they may combine and cause a poisonous gas. Don't mix bleach with anything except detergent. Nothing else is safe.

Pour in some baking soda with a little water and let it sit a while. vguy

By Betty (Guest Post)

Spray the drain hole with Greased Lightning, enough for it to run down into the drain. Then pour a little into the drain and let it sit for a few minutes. Put hot water in your sink and use a plunger to swish the water up and down in the drain.

You will remove a lot of gunk by doing this. I have a plunger that I use for my kitchen and bathroom drains. I wrote "Kitchen" on it so I don't get it mixed up with the commode plunger. This is the way I keep my drains clean and flowing.

By Booker23 (Guest Post)

Pour baking soda down the drain and let it sit for a while, then pour some white vinegar down the drain, too. IT will bubble up and help clean the trap and the pipes leading up from it.

I pour about 2 cups of clorox down my sink drains about every 2 weeks or anytime you notice odors. it works great. also, avoid pouring grease down your sink at anytime. I also swear by new MR CLEAN W/ FEBREZE for any cleaning job. It smells great and cleans even better.

Homemade Drain Cleaner

Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into your drain, add 1 cup white vinegar. Allow this to bubble for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup boiling water, & let stand for 5 minutes longer.

Then flush running tap water through for a few minutes. If you have a double sink, do one side first before doing the other side. Not both at the same time.

When your sink has a musty smell, you have a way to resolve this. If the stink is in the drain there are specific measures that you can undertake to remove it. You want a fresh air around your kitchen sink and this is possible by unclogging your kitchen sink drain. Use baking soda and vinegar all at the right proportions to remove the clog. Warm hot water after allowing both vinegar and baking soda to react down the drain for 30 minutes. This will restore the normal smell by fighting the musty smell. I hope this helps.