AdviceHealth & Beauty

Mark Dosage on Bottle

I got tired of squinting at the tiny dosage directions printed on many pain reliever bottles when needing something. When a new bottle/brand is bought, I take my black, permanent marker and write the dosage in bigger print on the bottle. (for example, 2/4 or 2/6 meaning two pills every four hours etc.) It also helps the kids and husband who take directions for granted with every bottle. (To take my marker out of my kitchen is perilous!)

By Cakeluv from Henry, TN

Instead of trying to read the small print on some OTC (Over-The-Counter) adult medications, I will write clearly with a red fine tip permanent marker, the dosage and how often to take, directly on the bottle.

For example, on a bottle of cold medicine, if it says to take one capsule every 6 hours. I write "1" and circle it. Next to this I write "6 HRS". This makes it easier for us. There are times when you are not feeling well and reading some of the small print seems like a chore.

Be sure you double check to ensure the information you write is correct. I wouldn't advise this for a young child's medication since the dosage may change according to the child's age/weight.

By mkymlp from NE PA

Answers:

Permanently Mark OTC Dosage on Bottle

Great idea! For the visually impaired, I'd recommend getting someone with better eyesight to read the directions originally.

I have a unique tool, called a Voxcom. The reusable digital cards that came with it each have 10 seconds of recording time. I can record the med, dosage, and number of refills, and attach the card to the bottle with a rubber band threaded through the card's "keyhole."

If a variation of either of these suggestions works for someone, great! (08/14/2009)

By JustPlainJo