Getting a Companion For a Dog

We are thinking of getting another dog for our current dog Cosmo to have a friend and playmate. Also, to try and get him to be a little braver and not so nervous. He is Chu/Terrior mix. Cosmo is a sweet dog, just scared of everything. He seems to like it at my in-laws with their dog and stays out of his cage to play with the other dog. Any suggestions? We really don't want 2 dogs, but if it would make Cosmo happier then we will consider. My kids 7 and 10 really want another dog, but they don't have to pay the vet bills or take care of 2 dogs.

Lisa

You must love dogs alot in order to have two. Some dogs don't get along well with other dogs, can you borrow a dog to see if your dog will accept a new one in his territory? Good luck.

I would try talking with a trainer or other knowlegeable animal behaviorist, start at your vet for a referral, or a long-time dog obedience teacher. Something is making your dog fearful. Don't get a second dog until you really have to, because as you know it doubles the costs and problems. If you are finally deciding to get that second dog, make it quite a bit smaller than Cosmo and give Cosmo an open crate or some cave to retreat to so he won't feel endangered so much. Good luck. My dog is afraid of other dogs, and yet lonely, and so far I've been able to avoid getting that second dog, since I'm a single person and not up for more expenses, like double the boarding costs when I have to go somewhere.

My suggestion is if you really don't want a second dog, you 'borrow' a dog for a companion to Cosmo, ie, offer to mind someone's dog daily (a working couple maybe whose dog is home alone) That way your dog has daily doggy friendship, but the visiting dog goes home in the evening, and the vet bills etc aren't your responsibility. It's dog sitting instead of baby sitting! Or Cosmo could be taken to a park each day where he can interact with other dogs.

Don't get a second dog unless you really want one, and are prepared to meet the inevitable costs.

Also think about checking with the animal shelter in your area. They might let you be a foster parent. That way you won't need to shoulder the expense on your own.

If you decide on another dog, please consider adopting from one of the great online rescue organizations. I have had great luck with Dachshund Rescue of N. America http://www.drna.org . I got my little guy, Doodad, from them and also used them to place my father's dachshund after he passed away last year. I already had two dogs so I was unable to take him.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 17, 2007
Briard
Briard Breed Information and Photos
English Springer Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
Boston Terrier - Breed Information and Photos
Photo of an old dog.
Treating a Dog With Urinary Incontinence
🎉
🎄