Dog Wetting Her Own Bed After Death of Mother

When pets lose a parent or companion they can grieve just as we do. Sometimes this grief can result in bed wetting and other unusual behaviors for you dog. This is a guide about dog is wetting her own bed after death of her mother.

I have a female dog (Abbie). I had to have her mum put to sleep three weeks ago. Since then Abbie has started peeing in her own bed while I am sitting in the same room. The door is always open for her to go in and out as she pleases, but she still pees in her bed. I don't know if she is trying to show dominance or what, as her mum was the dominant one of the two. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Your dog is feeling the loss of her mother. There are a few things you can do to help her cope and get over her loss.

1. You will need to keep an eye on Abby and monitor her during this time. She is wetting her bed because she is under distress.
  2. Keep her daily routine as normal as possible. Don't make sudden changes in her routine. Keep her mealtime, walks, exercise and bed time the same as before.
  3. Ad

4. Keep the portions of food the same at meal time for your pet. They might not eat the same amount of food but keep the portions the same.
  5. Don't try to reward or comfort her when she is displaying this type of behavior. it will only reinforce this behavior. Instad, distract her with playtime or exercise. Play with a ball or one of her favorite toys to distract her bad or distressed behavior.
  6. Durning the day go with her outside and encourage her to use the toilet again outside. She doesn't want to move to go out the door so you will have to encourage her to go out with you. Get her back in her normal routine again of not laying around on her bed all day long and just peeing in her bed.
  7. Most importantly it is necessary to give Abby time. She will adjust to the loss and come around. Until she does you need to help her with exercise, playtime, and going back outside alone. Show her it is alright to go back outside in the yard alone. Make her feel comfortable and spend time with her in the yard.

I believe this is one way of coping with the stress of the loss and her picking up on your sadness, too. Giving Abbie extra love in this time will do her a lot of good, and will help her get back to her natural habits altogether. I'm sorry for you loss and I wish you luck!

It would seem that Abbie is at loss as to where her mother has gone to.

She right now needs extra attention.

I think you should remove any thing that was her mothers, her toys, her feeding dish, her collar, sleeping blanket, any thing that was her mothers.

Also get Abbie a new bed.

And if you can get another dog, I am sure Abbie is missing the companionship.

I am sorry for your loss.

Dog peeing in bed.

• Dogs mourn the loss of loved ones as well as we do.
  • Some mourn by showing physical sadness and some show symptoms of bad behaviour.
  • They do not mourn long be patient and kind to the dog.
  • Keep everything as his normal routine if you give to much attention on him not eating you may create a picky eater.
  • Show some compassion but do not go over board.