Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed

There are a number of reasons your pet may be wetting his or her bed. This is a guide about dog peeing in its own bed.

I have a 8 year old Pit Bull. She has never had a peepee problem before, but now she keeps wetting her own beds (3 of them in different parts of the house). She has a doggie door and can go out anytime she wants. She even does it while we're home. We had a 2 lb. Chihuahua that was the queen bee, who passed away 2 months ago. Could this be affecting Isabella, and why so long after Mia's passing? What can I do for her?

By Terryann

Answers

Best Answer

If the two dogs were close that well could be the problem...but first be sure to take you dog to your vet to get her checked out for possible medical problems. If you dog gets an all clear from the vet, then there are things you can do to help your pet past her grieving.

My dog "Hoss" has started peeing where he is sleeping in the house at night recently. He has never done this before. He is only 7 years old, a German Shepherd/Lab mix. He's a big boy, about 140 pounds and is having a little difficulty getting up in the mornings. Maybe he has a UTI or needs Proin? I can't even imagine him being "put down" or even sleeping outside; he's one of my best friends. He also really stinks, maybe it's from his peeing on himself?

By Ray M from Wrightwood, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Have your vet test his urine for a urinary tract infection, like you mentioned in your post. That is a likely source of the smelly urine. My senior doxie gets them occasionally and I can tell when it's time for a urine test by her smelly urine. Ick. Easy to treat with pills. Good luck with Hoss! He looks like a sweet boy.

My Shih-Tzu has always peed in my other dog's bed. She also pees on my daughter's dog's bed and her own bed, and then sleeps on it. I have not ever caught her and now she's 7 yrs old

At night or when I'm not home, I do not let her roam anymore. She gets blocked in the bathroom with a baby gate, with food and water (which she never touches at night, but it makes me feel better that it's there if she wanted it ). I have a big towel folded on the floor then her dog bed on that and another towel on the bed. Every single night she pees on everything and then sleeps on it. I have even given her nothing to sleep on, and she doesn't pee at night, but will pee on my other dog's bed sometime throughout the day, as soon as she gets an opportunity.

She has peed on my bed in the past, now I keep my door shut so she can't go in there. I'm just so tired of my place smelling like dog urine *Sigh*

By Cynthia

Answers

I have a cat with neurological incontinence. He has several cushy beds throughout the house. On top of every bed I put an incontinence pad. When he has an accident I throw the pad away and replace it.

It saves a lot of laundry. You get 18 of these pads at Walmart for $5. Your dog should be checked for diabetes. It can cause behavior similar to what you described.

The person you need to talk to is your Veterinarian.

The incontinence pads are a great idea. I have a cat that does this. The vet said it was stress related and put him on a mild tranquilizer. The problem seems to have been fixed. No peeing on everything for over a year now!

Our dog Jake, who is 11, recently started to pee in his bed when we are gone. He even does it now when only one person is home and in the shower. His blood work came back good from the vet. He can make it all night without peeing when we go to sleep. What can we do to correct this?

Thanks.

I have two British Bulldogs and my eldest, who is now 11, started peeing on her bed when we got the younger one. Initially I thought it was a dominance thing, however, it's been 5 years now and there's no sign of improvement. Instead now she doesn't care if she lays in it.

We let them out regularly and for longer last thing at night and even take the water away after 6:30/7. I have even tried not washing the bed just drying it out, but it made no difference. She does not do it during the day though it's only at night. Any advice welcome :)

Thank you.

By Carina

Answers

This is a common occurrence in dogs who have diabetes. Especially if she drinks a lot. Do have her checked. Diabetes in dogs is easy to control.

What does your vet say about it? My 12 year old dog started doing that and I couldn't understand why until one day while petting her I discovered a large lump in her abdomen. Turned out to be a baseball size cancer tumor.

I have a 12 year old female Pit. I go to work every day from 6:00 AM 5:00 PM when I get home. I leave her in the house by herself and she does great. When I get home I feed her, give her water, and take her potty. And she does great. When I bring her back in the house, half an hour later she lays down on her bed and pees on her bed. How can I stop her doing that and why she is doing it when she doesn't do that the whole time I am out to work? Thank you.

My dog wets herself all the time day or night asleep or awake. She is always drinking water. It's driving me mad. I'm changing her bed 2 to 3 times a day. She's 4 years old. I love her dearly, but feel I just can not keep her if this continues. I need help.

By Lorraine from London

Answers

Have you taken the dog to a veterinarian? This sound like a medical problem. Diabetes is a possibility. Please don't just get rid of the dog or assume this is just "bad dog" behavior.

Sounds like kidney failure or kidney stones. A vet can diagnose the problem.
Honestly, I can't see why you would consider giving her to a shelter before even taking her to the vet at least once to try to figure out what the problem is.

Have your dog checked for diabetes.

My French Bulldog came from a pet store and we are the 3rd owner. He is 2 years old and seems to enjoy sleeping in his urine. He will pee on any bedding we give him, he also destroyed our couch with urine and has peed on my pillow recently. Now he is crated at night, but he goes on his blankets and sleeps on it so he is always smelly in the morning. He asks to go potty and we let him out right away, and before bed of course, so it seems he just does it because he likes sleeping on it. I going crazy cause I am tired of washing peed on blankets every single day, his bedroom stinks in the morning and I feel bad to not give him blankets because he really likes to be cozy.

By Isadora

Answers

Have you taken your dog to your vet for help? Experienced vets have training and knowledge in this area and can help with possible medication and good suggestions on how to change the dog's behavior.

Lauren, that is what vets are for. They can actually examine the animal and know the right questions to ask. Chances are they have seen many similar cases, and can recommend a dog trainer or behaviorist if one is required.

Or you can take the advice from someone on the internet who has never seen your dog, but if it doesn't work you'll end up having to take it to the vet anyway.
Nobody ever said you could get a dog, a collar and a leash and as long as you feed it there will never be any other expenses associated with it. Why do people think this is true?

Omg! I have a pug that does the same thing! (and yes, he's been to the vet, no health reasons for it) He's 8 yrs old and been doing this from infancy. And I mean in his bed, not on the outside. I finally got smart and started putting his bed inside a huge ziplock bag then put this in a pillow case. He doesn't like it much, but he doesnt do the laundry!

Our beagle has the same issue, we have gone through more dog beds and blankets then I can count. We have had tests done by his vet thinking it was a medical issue but no he is perfectly healthy just likes to mark any bedding he sleeps on. I'm so tired of this issue he constantly reeks, he has to sleep in a large crate with no bedding it's the only method the vet suggested will work.

After doing this for over a year we thought maybe he was cured of the issue. No such luck! He will go a few days pee free and then it's back to hosing his blanket down with piss! He is now 6 nothing has worked, only thing we can do is crate him at night and no house privileges when we aren't around to watch him. Will pee anywhere he lays. With some dogs it's just a territorial issue.

I have a 9 year Doberman female. She is fully trained. She has just recently started refusing to sleep in her bed because of something she smells. When we check her bed it is damp like she may have wet it, but it has no smell. She never actually squats and pees on it so I'm not sure what's happening. It's only on her bed. She sleeps all day on my son's bed and it never happens.

My family adopted a female Dachshund who was abused in her earlier years. Now that she has turned 14 she has started peeing her bed several times a day. She goes out twice in the morning. And when we're home from work, she has peed in the garage several times, but yet still wets her bed. Is it because that's where she feels safe?

By Jenna C.

Answers

Take her to the doctor. She might have a painful bladder infection.

Your dog is at that age when diabetes appears. Owners usually notice the frequent urination. You will need to have her checked out by a Vet. Diabetes is not too hard to manage in dogs.

Please contact your veterinarian this has nothing to do with her feeling safe.

My sister's older dog started doing this. She took her to the vet and found out she has diabetes. I would take your dog to a vet.

My dog is 6 yrs old and started peeing in her bed about 6 months ago. She only does it when we are gone at work and not at night. She sleeps in our bed at night and has never had an accident in our bed. She stays in the kitchen during the day and we also have a pee pad that she use to use all the time. We have taken her to the vet and all test came back normal. Please help!

My 3 year old Lhassa Apso has just started to pee where he is sleeping or sitting and he doesn't move. He has never done this before and always has access to go out or comes to get me. His food has not changed, he is drinking a lot. He just stays in it after; he carries on sleeping. Any ideas?

By Dolly B from Ireland

Answers

You didnt say how old your dog is, but the symptoms you described happen in two instances that I am aware of. Your dog may have a kidney problem, or possibly diabetes. Both require diagnoses by a Vet and both can be easily treated.

Hello,
Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for a urinalysis. Drinking a lot and peeing can be a sign of a medical problem that needs to be addressed immediately! I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 20 years. Good luck

You should have your dog checked for kidney problems or possibly diabetes. Both of them have the symptoms you describes. Both can be easily managed.

My husband and I adopted a 4-5 year old Dachshund about a year ago. We believe there may have been a history of abuse. Recently, he has started peeing on his dog beds. It first happened about 8 days ago, and again about 3 days ago, and then a third time this evening. All three times I have been in the room and caught him doing it. He is taken outside frequently and seems to be having no issues using the bathroom. What could this be from?
We don't have a ton of money right now and I am nervous that if I take him to the vet they will charge me an expensive check up fee and say he's perfectly healthy.

I am 8wks pregnant and my dog has never had a peeing problem on her bed no matter how long she was in her crate. But now she is peeing on her bed. It does not have a urine smell though. Could she be excessively licking her bed or do you think she is peeing her bed because she knows I am pregnant?

By Jessica T. from Carrollton, GA

I got my English Bulldog at 13 weeks old. He was from a pet store. We weren't even looking to get a dog just went to see the puppies that day, but we fell in love:) Now the store had him since he was 8 weeks so for the 5 weeks he ate, slept, peed, and pooped in a 2 x 4 ft. cage.

Now he can barely turn around in his crate, yet still pees and sleeps like a baby! Thank God he doesn't poop anymore, but it's only been 2 weeks since the last incident. Is this a comfort thing? His bed that I keep outside the crate he loves yet will pop a squat and lay right down for a nap! Is this a comfort thing? Is it too late to reprogram this behavior? My kids and I want him out of the kitchen prison and in the family area so we can enjoy having a dog!

By Vivi

Answers

I have an adult pug that still pees in his bed. He's neutered too.

I am having this problem. I watch an English bulldog, 6 months old. I take her out to pee. Soon after we come indoors, before she lays down on a floor bed, she will circle or preparing to lay in her bed, squat quickly and pee, then get comfortable to sleep next to the pee. Her owners say she doesn't do this with them, but I am wondering if they aren't catching her. Why would she do this, it's gross? I don't condone it, I watch her and get her to stop midstream, but other times, she'll be too quick and It's too late. It's embarrassing for me with her owners, because I feel she does this because she is trying to be defiant with me.

I play with her alot, my hands and clothes smell so I know she's peeing in house when not under my care, she doesn't like when I do dig into her mouth when she picks up stuff and I always correct her when she tries to go into garbage, she will get snippy with me, like letting me know that she didn't like that I am stopping bad behavior but I keep at it, saying no and push her away. But the peeing, I can't seem to stop that. I got to get her to stop peeing on her beds before napping. What If she doesn't outgrow this? I have to remove beds off floor when I watch her. Please anyone, who has an answer, please respond.

I have a 2 yr old English Bulldog who has slept in a cage since we have had her from a puppy. She is house trained but has always wet her bed during the night. We let her out early in the morning. She likes sleeping in her cage as we have tried other options, but nothing seems to work.

I wash her blanket every night, even tried just putting newspaper in her cage. The only time she doesn't wet her bed is when I take everything out of her bed, but then she just scratches in her bed at night and doesn't sleep very well. Can you help?

By mavis from England UK

Answers

How long is she staying in there? Does she go potty right before bed time? Maybe you could take her water away abput 3-4 hours before bed. However, if she's been doing this every night for 2 years you're going to have a really hard time stopping it.

Mavis, I too am a doggie lover. We have had this problem also. Try this:
1. do not give water to the doggie after say 6 pm.
2. give the doggie one more time to go outside to pee just before bed, etc.
3. If you arise early, go immediately to let the doggie out and praise it for doing it 's biz outside. Always praise your doggie when they do good on anything. Good luck, let me know if this at least helps some.
Kindest regards from an old "Anglophile". Jim M.

My 4yr old male Cocker has started going to the toilet in his bed at night. He can't be trusted to roam free in a room for the same reason so we have him in a soft crate while his brother can be trusted so roams free (laundry). Lately he has started going to the toilet (pee and poop) every night.

We've tried taking them out before we go to bed (they come in about 7pm and I go to sleep about 10pm), but this hasn't helped. We've tried punishment - putting him in the garage overnight - no success. His diet hasn't changed. Our hours of being away from the house haven't changed - nothing has changed that we can think of. We don't mind if they go in the house when they are unwell, but this seems to be willful behaviour. They are usually in the house between 7pm and about 6:30am. Please help!

I have a Fox Terrier, her name is Belle and she is two years old. She has this habit of often peeing on her bed. She is also shedding a lot. I have tried everything, but can't find any solution. And as for her shedding problems, the vet told me that it's normal for her to shed like this. Her potty training is finished, but as soon as I replace her bed sheets, she has to pee on it. Because of this I had to put her outside. I built her a nice little house of course! Her bed sheets and bed don't last a month. Please can someone help, because I really love my little girl.
Thanks.

I have recently adopted a 5 month old Staghound x Lab puppy. He is very nervy and is not house trained, but he seems to wee wherever he feels most comfortable. This is in places like under the table or on his own bed! I will take him out for walks and then we come home and he pees straight away, but it's always inside! At night though he only pees on his bed, not anywhere else. I don't know how to make him stop without making him not like his bed!

I am having a problem with my 8 year old mini Yorkie urinating for the first time on my and my boyfriend's bed. We first thought it was our sausage dog. Then tonight he came through with me to the kitchen to get something and walked straight passed his potty pad onto his bed and urinated and walked back through to the kitchen.

The other dog and his bed wasn't there, but I wasn't even putting him in there. He has never done this before, but they both had been in trouble for urinating on the bed. We have been building for a long time so I don't know if it's because of that stress?

Please help.

I have an American Bulldog female who is 4 and a half years old. She is fully house trained. I rescued her from cruelty. I have had her nearly 1 year now and she suddenly started to pee on her bed and stopped moaning to go out when my family and I are in the house with the dog in front of us. She has never done this before and always moaned to go out to the toilet before.
As I said I rescued her from cruelty because her old owner left her in the garden 24/7 and starved her and used her for a punching bag. Since I got her she has learned loads of tricks, like sit and paw and walking off the lead.
Please can someone help me with the peeing as when she goes it stinks my whole living room out.
Thanks very much.

I have a Pit Bull I adopted several months ago. She is 3 years old and has never had a problem with urinating in the house. But recently I bought her a new cage - twice the size as the old one, which she sleeps in at night, and she used to sleep on old blanket. I bought her a new memory foam bed to put in there just a few days ago. So far she has peed on it twice, and both were right after taking a walk outside. Again, she has never had an issue with this before.

By Joni from NYC, NY

I have a Doberman who is 3 years old and he has recently started to wet the bed at night time, but it's not every night. We make him go outside to try and have a wee before bed, but this doesn't make a difference. The other night he woke at 5:00 am wanting to go for a wee which he pretty much has never done before. Could you give me some advice as to what it could be as the vet isn't very helpful?

By Victoria B

I have an 11 year old Maltese. She pees on her own bed when we are away even if she has a peeing pad out. She also takes her food out of her dish and brings it to her bed to eat it. What can I do?

By SC from FL

Answers

Have your dog checked for diabetes? It can cause excessive thirst and hunger. It is easy to live with when you get the hang of it. Your Vet can tell you how to deal with it.

My three year old Shepherd started wetting the bed while she sleeps. It just started a few days ago, a day after I took her for a bath at a local dog groomers. Do you think she could have gotten a uti from there?

By Susan

Answers

Hello,
Please go to your Veterinarian for an exam. Peeing in her sleep is not normal and she needs to be checked.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I notice that there is a lot of dogs wetting beds. We have had a British bulldog from a friend. She's been with us about a year now and is about 2 years old. Our problem is the same, she will wet her bed but only if we place a blanket or bedding in the basket. When newspaper is only form of bedding, she will not wee.

She was one of 16 dogs that the breeder had in a conservatory so I think the wetting problem stems from claiming her bed amongst that lot. I think people could try this out see if it works for them.

By lindz from Port Talbot, UK

dog in pink sweater

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I have a friend who has recently adopted a female and male (brother and sister) Siberian Husky/Rhodesian ridge-back mix from a shelter. They both sleep on her bed and they both wet the bed almost every night. They are both 11 months and 1 week old. How do you stop this problem?

Sabrina

Answers:

Dogs Wet Their Bed

Have them sleep in a crate. (09/03/2005)

By lindal

Dogs Wet Their Bed

Well, sleeping in a crate would certainly eliminate the bed wetting! I would think that these pups will grow up to be rather large, so she needs to decide if her bed is the proper place for them when they are full grown, and eventually protective of her and reluctant to let anyone else in bed w/her, if that's ever an issue.

I would never let anyone take my chi out of my bed, but there's a huge physical difference. She is protective of me when my husband crawls in bed, although curled up behind his legs is her favorite nesting place. However, if we didn't already have children, we might not have ever had them! Haha! Letting a dog in your bed also turns over some authority to the dogs, and she needs to make sure they know she is the alpha in the house.

As for the immediate problem, she needs to limit the amount of water she's giving them after say, 7 pm, and then give them lots of opportunities to go outside and take care of business between then and bedtime. Dogs also like to wet where they've gone before, and they have an unbelievable sense of smell. Anything she can do to eliminate the odor from previous accidents will help. They also won't use the bathroom where they eat, so if nothing else works, put their food bowls on the accident spots and feed them there once in a while. It's worth a try if she gets desperate! (09/03/2005)

Dogs Wet Their Bed

I have a 5 yr German Shepard and I've noticed a couple of times that she wets my bed. She sleeps next to me every night. I found a wet spot tonight so I turned the light on and I checked her and she was still dropping while she was laying on the bed, totally conscious. After that I took her out, she went potty. Later on I kept watching her and she kept licking herself down there. I am very concerned, what should I do? (09/18/2007)

By Andi

What should you do?

I'm no dog expert, but I grew up helping to raise from pups 3 dogs in the past, only one at a time. (German Shepard- my uncle, full Labrador retriever- my aunt, and pedigree Boston terrier- my own.) In my late teenage years I worked for a vet hospital for almost two years and have seen and given many helpful training tips.

From personal experience I know, that when a dog starts peeing on your bed, that's when you have lost ownership of the bed. Unless it's an old dog and this is new behavior, I would take it to the vet whenever possible for it could mean something serious.

Other than that, have your dog sleep in a crate at night. Put it close to your bed, and slowly move it night to night out of your room. This will help for multiple reasons. As a dog gets more comfortable with a crate, they'll see this is a safe place and not a punishment. They'll come to use it for comfort if they feel threatened, they'll feel more comfortable if you travel with them, and dogs will usually refrain from wetting where they continue to sleep. If they find that they have to sleep in a crate all night long, it will teach them to hold it all night; provided you take them out first thing in the morning when they get out of their crate. Make sure that when they go out to urinate or defecate you say some command so that in time, they know when you refer to it. "Go potty!" is usually a good one.

If by the time they are trained you still want them to sleep on your bed, try it for a night or two. Take them out before bed and if you wake up and find they urinated again, you tell them "no, potty!" Take them outside to potty, and put them in their crates.

A well trained dog will make a happy family and a happy pet. That I know from plenty of experience. (12/17/2007)

By manda

Dogs Wet Their Bed

Sorry, but putting them in a crate definitely does not eliminate bed wetting. My 5 month old puppy sleeps in a crate and has me up in the night whining because he can't get out himself and if I don't let him out in time he wets his bed. He's had a urine test and that was completely clear, and he doesn't drink excessively. I asked the vet about taking away water before bed time as many suggest and he said to strictly not do this as he will only drink when he needs to!

Last night (as I know he secretly wants to be on my bed), I left the crate door open and put his basket (usually in the living room) by the side of my bed. He's obviously much happier there but he STILL wet his bed this morning. The vet suggested I'm just not getting up early enough but going to bed at midnight and getting up at 6am is still not early enough. As a small pup he slept right through. Apart from this he is completely toilet trained - it's a mystery and I am considering getting extra behavioral advice/help. (10/16/2008)

Dogs Wet Their Bed

Sleeping in a crate isn't working for my 10 wk old Yorkie. She pees while she is asleep and can do it only 30 min. apart. I have noticed that she begins to cry as though she was having a bad dream and then will urinate without ever waking up. I am worried this will not get any better. (11/02/2008)