Consumer Advice

iPod Nano With a Cracked Screen

I purchased an iPod Nano and the screen cracked. I was told that this was a problem with ipods. I purchased it at Circuit City and bought an extended warranty, they refused to honor it due to the problem. I have gone to the Apple store and was told by the nasty manager that they do not repair the screens for iPods and that I would have to purchase another one for $199.00 I have been trying for 3 days to call apple and have been put on hold for a least 1 1/2 hrs twice. I will never buy or recommend and Apple product to anyone. Does anyone know how I can get help from apple?

Rose from CT

How did the screen crack? If it's less than a year old and it's a product defect, Apple should fix it or give you a new one so I would keep trying to call them. If it's more than a year old, you'll need to buy apple care for it, their extended warranty program, which will cover it for a couple more years. BUT, make sure that whatever damage it has is covered by the warranty because there is no point buying apple care if it's not a covered.

Can't find it now... but someone on the www was unhappy about the $300 price tag Apple placed on 'fixing' an iPod, so he began fixing his own. He said it was just a matter of finding a parts supplier, because the pieces are few (four or five) and just a little tinkering to figure out the easiest way to change them. He now fixes other iPods at a cut rate. Surf the web, it wil set you free.

Found a hack web page...

http://www.hack … fle-disassembly/

I don't know about the iPod but our family has not been happy with Circuit City because of their policies; we will never buy anything from them again.

All iPod Nanos are covered if the screen cracks if it is still in warranty if you purchased the AppleCare Protection plan for iPod