Reuse Plastic Bottles For Seedlings

I reuse plastic water bottles in Pixiepods Garden here in Tenerife as cloches for new plants. It can be windy here from time to time and it just helps them to settle in. The photo is of some herbs that I planted out in January.

Be careful when preparing the bottles for use as the plastic is slippy. Cut off the bottom of the bottle and secure it over the plant. You may want to use the lid or not. It creates a little mini greenhouse for each individual plant. The bottoms of the bottles can be recycled or used as trays, but they don't do this job that well.

All these herbs are unveiled now and are doing really well.

Source: I am sure others have done it but I just decided to try it and it worked

By pixiepod from Tenerife, Canary Islands

I tried the same thing last year, it worked great. I started lots of plants from seeds indoors this way too.

I found it to be better for the lid to be off. There is no air circulation at all with it on. or at least poke some small hole in the plastic if you leave the lids on

Photos GardenFebruary 28, 2011
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying