Reusing Plastic Bottles

Category Reusing
So many products are packaged in plastic bottles. Finding creative and practical ways to reuse them is a good practice and a way to reduce plastic pollution. This page contains some ideas for reusing plastic bottles.

Peroxide is a great disinfectant with a lot of applications. It also removes a lot of stains, particularly organic stains such as blood. I buy the larger bottles as I use it quite often.

I've found a good use for the empty bottles. As nothing has been in them except peroxide, a thorough rinse and they're ready for most any reuse.

To save money, I buy a lot of household chemicals in gallon containers. Keeping these larger sizes under the kitchen sink would take up far too much room.

I cut labels from these gallon jugs and secure them to peroxide bottles with wide shipping tape. The wide tape keeps the label clean and readable.

Then I fill the bottles with liquid from the gallon jugs. A dollar dish pan from Dollar Tree neatly houses several of these bottles under the sink, all easily accessible and clearly labeled.

The gallon jugs go back to a utility shelf in a pantry. There, I always have a reserve and by making note of that reserve, I never run out.

We are having a family get together soon. I am tired of recycling all those water and Gatorade bottles. How can I prep the empty bottles for the kids to paint (so they use the same bottle all weekend), wash, and reuse? Do I use a plastic primer then acrylic or oil based paint or do I use the Krylon primer? Thanks.

By Sarah

Answers

Best Answer

You could put a different color rubber band for each child around the bottle.

Best Answer

Duct tape and sharpie markers work really well, and should last through the weekend. Freezer tape also, but duct tape is so easily available now.

Best Answer

Some of those bottles are so flimsy they might not last the weekend - and they're not easy to wash nor are they supposed to be refilled. Why don't you get some sturdy plastic tumblers at the dollar store and have the kids use those? You won't have to worry about possibly toxic paint either.

Best Answer

Disposable plastic water bottles and sport drink bottles like Gatorade are made with HDPE #1 plastic. They are meant for original one time use only. Chemicals from that plastic leaches into beverages you refill them with thereafter.

I agree with purchasing inexpensive tumblers or even water bottles meant for reuse along with using freezer tape, or even painters tape, instead of duct tape because duct tape residue is difficult to remove. I also wouldn't use any sort of paint directly on plastics for beverage or foods because the chemicals from the paint will most likely leach into the plastic and hence into the contents of the container.

Rule of thumb for reusing plastics for any food or beverage is that it be 'food grade' recycle #2, #4 or #5.

Oh, I reuse empty non-dairy creamer bottles for beverages. They are the safe #2, have a closeable spout and it's easy to remove their labels.

This page is about crafts made with plastic bottles. All kinds of plastic bottles can be reused in a variety of creative projects.

Pile of Plastic Water Bottles

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a page about uses for plastic pop bottles. Finding other uses for plastic pop bottles helps prevent them from ending up in the landfill.

Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Cleaner spray bottles may be reused if they can be thoroughly cleaned and are appropriate for the new liquid you use them for. This is a page about reusing cleaner spray bottles.

Cleaner Spray Bottle

This is a page about uses for plastic vitamin bottles. If you regularly take an assortment of vitamins and other supplements, you probably have a lot of plastic bottles stacking up in the recycle bin.

Plastic Vitamin Bottle

This page is about reusing pump bottles. Once the lotion or liquid soap is gone, these hand pump containers can be reused to dispense a variety of liquids.

Pump Bottle

Before throwing that sturdy detergent bottle into the trash, you can consider ways to use it for something else. This page is about reusing laundry detergent bottles.

Reusing Laundry Detergent Bottles

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 17, 2019
🎄
🍂