Putting Oatmeal in Corn Bread

This is a product of 'Old People Ingenuity' and necessity. DH and I each have different sensitivities to the prescription cholesterol lowering drugs so we are trying to take a natural approach.

Several years ago I started using oatmeal instead of cracker or bread crumbs in my meatloaf and salmon croquettes. Determined to sneak it in wherever possible today I made some corn bread. Being raised in the south by a mama of English descent I don't put sugar in my corn bread or muffins. This is how I made them today:

• 1 packet of corn bread mix
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats

Directions:

Mix and bake as directed on package.

It was really nice. It didn't taste 'oatmealy' at all and it had a really nice texture.

By MartyD from Houston,Tx

Cornbread is my favorite food, I'm always looking for new ways to make it and I will surely try this. New Year's day is coming up -- gotta have cornbread with the ham, blackeyes, and collards!

GOTTA TRY THIS BUT WAS WONDERING, COULD YOU DO THIS WHEN MAKING REGULAR CORNBREAD FROM SCRATCH? I DON'T LIKE THE MIXES AS THEY SEEM SWEET TO ME.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads CornbreadDecember 26, 2007
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Corn Bread Dressing
Corn Bread Dressing Recipes
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Upclose photo of corn spoon bread.
Corn Spoon Bread Recipes
🎄
🍂