Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication - Categories:

AdviceHealth & Beauty

Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication

How can I lower my blood sugar If I run out of medication?

By Diane from Philly

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Exercise is the best way to naturally lower blood sugar. I walk at least a mile every day, good luck.

Fenugreek works really well, so does turmeric & there are others. I use these regularly. Go to google & put in herbs that lower blood glucose & you will find lots of them. Hope this helps. I have type 2 diabetes & refuse to take the drugs that do this. They cause too many other things to happen, soIi stay away.

Cinnamon helps to keep blood sugar stable. I heard or read somewhere that it works as well as glucophage. I hope that this helps!

I think lots more info is needed before anyone can give opinions about what to do. A really important question here is, how high is your blood sugar and have you already done everything naturally that can be done to lower it? Do you have any other severe health problems. If you have really high blood sugar, just discontinuing meds to try to lower it naturally can have drastic consequences. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for someone who's had a stroke or lost vision due to not taking meds because they had dangerously high blood sugar levels.

Walking can definitely help reduce blood sugar. I just tested it as recommended by previous posters. Before and after readings are 8.8mmol/L down to 6.9mmol/L after 30 mins walk.

Eating yougart can also do wonder in lowering blood sugar.

November 22, 2012 Flag

I'm concerned about my mom. We right now don't have any type of insurance nor medical, and she has run out of her pills. It's going to take about a week for her to get her meds. What can we do to try and keep her sugar down the best way? Right now she is okay, it's 189, but I'm still worried it can always go up. Please any suggestions? Thank you.

By elena

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would have to watch her carbs very carefully and if she can walk have her do that. A lot of people can control it that way. Hope that helped.

Go to this link for a very informative three page article about a healthy type 2 diabetes diet:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/eating-right

Also, talk to her pharmacist because in most cases they can give a three day supply of medication to tide her over until she receives her prescription again.

I control my diabetes by watching what I eat and doing exercises. Far easier than medicines.

Help her stick strictly and I mean really strictly to her diet. You could also try 1-2 tsp cinnamon daily to regulate her blood sugars. If she is stressed by having to wait for meds, this will affect her blood sugars too. Remember, help her exercise as much as she can. If money is a problem to help her with meds, try contacting the company(ies) that makes her meds and see if they will help with cost, some do.

March 22, 2010 Flag

What do I do to bring blood sugar levels down without medicine?

By Mark from Sand Springs, OK

Answers:

Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication

Garlic is supposed to be very good for lowering blood sugar, as is cinnamon. I'm not suggesting that you eat them both at the same time, but maybe you could incorporate a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon into your daily breakfasts and also eat garlic for dinner a few times a week. (01/27/2010)

By azDana

Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication

Exercise. Not such pleasant news, but I've been a type 1 diabetic for almost 40 years and it works. Try putting on some music and dancing, even dancing to the jingles on the ads, it seriously works. A walk will do it too. Good luck. (01/27/2010)

By merry50

Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication

In addition to other things mentioned:

Have your vitamin D levels checked and make sure you have them in the high end of optimal. Many diabetics are short on D and studies are showing it to be linked. Don't settle for just "it's in the normal range" get it to high end of normal. Sunshine in summer, supplements in winter. D3 is cheap. If you are very low, the Dr. will prescribe a high dose supplement, otherwise most adults can take 5000 units daily in winter, more when sick. Do a web search on this or check Mercola.com for a lot of articles on this and most of the other points I'm listing.

Get enough sleep. Research has shown a connection between lack of sleep and weight gain, thus also to higher blood sugar.

Switch as many of your carbohydrates to high fiber as possible. Whole grain breads, oatmeal, high fiber/low sugar cereal, brown rice, dried beans, veggies, fruit instead of fruit juice, etc. You'll feel more full for less calories, and the fiber helps sweep fat through the system for a bonus. In general, the less processed any food is, the better it will be for you. Take the time to cook it yourself if you can. You will have more control.

Avoid soda, regular or diet. Empty calories in regular. Diet drinks and all other sources of artificial sweeteners are best avoided because the body gets confused and the craving for real carbs increases. I think I read somewhere that sometimes insulin levels will actually start to rise in response to the artificial sweeteners, but I'd have to hunt for that one to verify. Drink water. Milk or dairy foods 3 times a day does seem to really help with weight control too; if you aren't allergic try it.

Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. Despite their council's counter advertising, studies are showing that the body stores 40 calories out of 120 of fructose directly as fat. Of 120 sugar calories, the body burns all, but a couple. Also sugar turns off the appetite hormone, fructose does not, so you keep eating. Is it coincidence that the diabetes level has soared since corn syrup became the sweetener of choice in most groceries?

Eat smaller portions, but more often. 6 little meals a day rather than 3 larger ones will keep the blood sugar on a more even keel.

Keeping a food diary will help you keep track of what you are actually putting in your mouth. Measure your portions so you learn exactly what the official serving size looks like. 3 oz meat looks like deck of cards, 1/3 cup rice is half a baseball; serving of crackers is 5 or 12 , etc. Do both for at least a month and you will become much more aware of what you are eating. You will be reading a lot of labels for this and some of the previous suggestions.

There are a whole string of supplements that could help, but I don't know whether you would consider them medications. I would do at least the D3 during the months you can't get out into the sun (without sunscreen, by the way). (01/28/2010)

By Contester

Lowering Blood Sugar Without Medication

Fenugreek is an herb and it works well. I take it. Also, it increases your stomach acid production. Potassium helps, use pills they don't add glucose, betaine hydrochloride might help, if your stomach is not in too bad of shape. (01/28/2010)

By c t

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do you reduce blood sugar level without medications?

May 20, 2009 Flag

I would like to know if there is a normal remedy to lower blood sugars normally with out medication. Please help

Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 22, 2010
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
High Cholesterol With Tangerine
Lowering Your Cholesterol
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
fruit and a glucometer
Emergency Tips For Diabetics
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 11:13:22 PM on 10.0.1.212 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.