Making Muffin Tops Crunchy

I would like to know what Dunkin' Donuts or supermarkets use to make the top of their muffins so crunchy and yummy? It could be something as simple as sugar. I've tried without any success in getting that nice crunch.

Susan from Hemder, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'm not sure if this is the kind your talking about but I make a crumble mixture with butter and brown sugar then put it on top of the muffin before baking.

There are different types of decorating sugars that are coarser than regular granualated sugar we use here for baking with. Sanding sugar or decorating sugar or sparkling sugars don't dissolve under the heat of baking so it does give more of a crunch. We don't have a Dunkin Donuts around here but that is what our bakery uses on muffins and some pastries.

There are many different kinds of sugar listed at King Arthur's site you can read about:

http://search.kingarthurflour.com/?No=12&rt=p&Ntt=sugars&N=0

I used to bake a lot. For really crunchy tops, I assume you mean the ones you cook yourself. You could sprinkle the top of the muffin, before baking with just plain granulated sugar, not a lot, but just some, or sprinkle the top with powered sugar. I use to use it on the tops of brownies, before baking & it worked really well. Also on other things, I used to beat up a little egg white & brush the tops of things, before baking. I also use to buy the ones donuts shops sell & I would heat it in the microwave & pop it in a really hot oven for about 10 mins. That works great for the ones you buy, because after they sit awhile, they are no longer crunchy.

Here is a topping I use on my Streusal Apple Pie. Sounds like what you are looking for. Will work on muffins too. It will give you that crunch topping like the muffins in supermarkets.

Crumbs

1/2 cup softened Margarine

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups flour

Whisk the crumb mixture together and pat on muffins. Bake same as the muffin recipe.

Also Recipezaar has a recipe called Muffin Toppings #90227. It has three toppings. Nut Topping; Streusal Topping; and a Sugar & Cinnamon Topping.

Answer

bacon cheddar muffins
Muffin Making Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking MuffinsJanuary 7, 2009
CD Spinner Top
Making CD Spinners
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
fresh carrots with tops
Crispy Carrot Tops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 18, 2016 at 8:10:22 AM on 10.0.0.190 in 295 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.