Is roasted honey nut peanut butter OK for my German Shepherd to eat?
By Millie from Yucaipa, CA
Hi Millie, Recently my son sent me a story that a vet wrote to aware people of foods that are toxic to dogs. He tried saving a dog who had got into a box of raisins. Unfortunately the dog died and the vet wanted pet owners to know that grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. I knew about grapes, but not raisins so I looked further into foods and plants that could cause harm to a dog. They do have nuts on the list. They even say you shouldn't use ant baits around the house that contain peanut butter. Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are on top of the list but I decided that any kind of nut would be off limits for my dog. I wouldn't take the chance. They also said that dogs, like people could be allergic to nuts and you wouldn't know it until the level of toxicity started to affect the dog. My motto is better safe than sorry. Just thought I'd share this info that I recently learned with you.
I know Chocolate is poison to dogs. I would not feed peanut butter either.
I cant believe how many people post answers here, but have no clue what they are talking about. Just go to the spca and see for yourself
Peanut butter is totally fine, unless they had some allergy but it will put some pounds on them if you give them too much. For the one who said make sure its sugar free, make sure there is no sugar substitute in it, as that is poisonous for the dog.
This link explains about peanut butter given to a dog. Seems there's complications "only" if mold is a present factor.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_6371159_p ... _.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask
The spca's listing is only a partial list. Spinach is a no, no and regular peas are OK, that is a sweet pea plant this is listed.
Bones are on the spca's list also, but raw bones are actually good for a dog. It's cooked bones that present the problem.
Salt and sugar should also be avoided. Amazes me how many pet recipes are on the web with many containing garlic, another no-no.
Also, turkey and chicken skins are a no-no, but the meat is great to give them.
Hello Millie. I am totally on board with those that say peanut butter is fine for dogs as long as they don't have a peanut allergy. Too boot, (although I don't know everything in the world, darn it. LOL) I know not of a single friend's dog that has or had peanut allergies.
Talk with your vet and do some primary source research to educate yourself on allergic reactions in dogs and proceed with caution. That said, know that thousands and thousands of dogs love peanut butter (mine included) and can consume reasonable amounts of such without any more concern than over feeding as it applies to weight gain.
Just like this post, you should not take everything posted on the web as absolute truth but to give or not give peanut butter is far from a finished debate between dog owners, vet professionals and others.
Please just proceed with an open, educated, mind, enhanced by documented, pet health care professional studies, and real life experiences that come your way. Sorry I can't offer the perfect solution.
Seriously, I've been feeding peanut butter to dogs as a treat for over four decades with absolutely no problem. Again I acknowledge that exceptions could exist, but please do your own research before relying on random web posts that claim all is well or all is bad. Good luck and best wishes for you and your canine fur friend.
Yes, peanut butter is fine for dogs. As long as (as some pf these people have said) the dog has no allergies to it or its ingredients. Also I wouldn't give him a whole lot of it. I used to have a golden retriever and he got no more than one full teaspoon a day. I used it to give him his arthritis and vitamin pills. I now have 2 dachsies and they each get no more than 1/4 teaspoon a day. But for them it's not every day since they take their pills easily without it. I use it as an "extra special" treat.
You didn't ask, but I'll say I also give it to my cat, no more than 1/8 teaspoon a day. Again, for my cat it's only used as an "extra special" treat.
The SPCA lists several things that are perfectly ok for dogs, as long as it's given only in small amounts and/or only occasionally.
Garlic is one thing. Most of us down here in the south have discovered the benefits of giving our dogs and cats a small amount of garlic in their food daily because it keeps the fleas and ticks off them.
So the main thing is, contact several agencies and people including vets in your area. Make sure they are in your part of the country because some of the advice will change depending on where you live. But don't depend on just one source either. Contact many sources, and then use your own best judgment.
One thing tho you do need to check on is what plants, both indoor and outdoor that are toxic to pets. Don't forget that!
Here are questions related to Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?.
Are peanuts good for small dogs like a Chihuahua?
By AVI from Bethesda, MD
Peanuts might be a choking hazard. Most dogs like peanut butter and a little is OK for them.
Is honey peanut butter OK to feed to my adult dogs as a treat? I would give no more than 1 tablespoon of it.
I would say yes! My 9 year old loves pb & honey... sparingly, as you said. I alternate his treats. He loves a variety!
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.
Is it o.k. to put peanut butter in my dog's food? It's the only way she eats it and if I don't put it in she won't eat for days, so i usually give in. Is this unhealthy and is there anyway to make her eat food without peanut butter?
PS. I've tried changing the type of dog food but the same problem occurs.
Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs? There are so many people telling me that peanut butter is great for dogs. Are you saying that that isn't true?
Is processed peanut butter good for dogs?
By Philip from Slidell, LA
If someone's dog had problems with peanut butter, that was just that particular dog. Like people, some dogs have different reactions to some things that are perfectly fine for most dogs. There are exceptions to every rule. If you want to try, but are leery about it, try giving your dog just a little bit once a week or so and watch your dog closely. If it has any reaction whatsoever, discontinue the peanut butter immediately. But if not, then you know the dog is OK with it. (04/04/2010)
How much peanut butter can I feed my Chihuahua on a regular basis?
Is it alright for a Lab dog to have peanut butter?