Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Is roasted honey nut peanut butter OK for my German Shepherd to eat?

By Millie from Yucaipa, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cricket [201]04/06/2011

Yes, peanut butter is fine for dogs. As long as (as some pf these people have said) the dog has no allergies to it or its ingredients. Also I wouldn't give him a whole lot of it. I used to have a golden retriever and he got no more than one full teaspoon a day. I used it to give him his arthritis and vitamin pills. I now have 2 dachsies and they each get no more than 1/4 teaspoon a day. But for them it's not every day since they take their pills easily without it. I use it as an "extra special" treat.

You didn't ask, but I'll say I also give it to my cat, no more than 1/8 teaspoon a day. Again, for my cat it's only used as an "extra special" treat.

The SPCA lists several things that are perfectly ok for dogs, as long as it's given only in small amounts and/or only occasionally.

Garlic is one thing. Most of us down here in the south have discovered the benefits of giving our dogs and cats a small amount of garlic in their food daily because it keeps the fleas and ticks off them.

So the main thing is, contact several agencies and people including vets in your area. Make sure they are in your part of the country because some of the advice will change depending on where you live. But don't depend on just one source either. Contact many sources, and then use your own best judgment.

One thing tho you do need to check on is what plants, both indoor and outdoor that are toxic to pets. Don't forget that!

By Cindy [3]04/06/2011

Hello Millie. I am totally on board with those that say peanut butter is fine for dogs as long as they don't have a peanut allergy. Too boot, (although I don't know everything in the world, darn it. LOL) I know not of a single friend's dog that has or had peanut allergies.

Talk with your vet and do some primary source research to educate yourself on allergic reactions in dogs and proceed with caution. That said, know that thousands and thousands of dogs love peanut butter (mine included) and can consume reasonable amounts of such without any more concern than over feeding as it applies to weight gain.

Just like this post, you should not take everything posted on the web as absolute truth but to give or not give peanut butter is far from a finished debate between dog owners, vet professionals and others.

Please just proceed with an open, educated, mind, enhanced by documented, pet health care professional studies, and real life experiences that come your way. Sorry I can't offer the perfect solution.

Seriously, I've been feeding peanut butter to dogs as a treat for over four decades with absolutely no problem. Again I acknowledge that exceptions could exist, but please do your own research before relying on random web posts that claim all is well or all is bad. Good luck and best wishes for you and your canine fur friend.

By Myrna [13]04/05/2011

This link explains about peanut butter given to a dog. Seems there's complications "only" if mold is a present factor.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6371159_p ... _.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

The spca's listing is only a partial list. Spinach is a no, no and regular peas are OK, that is a sweet pea plant this is listed.
Bones are on the spca's list also, but raw bones are actually good for a dog. It's cooked bones that present the problem.
Salt and sugar should also be avoided. Amazes me how many pet recipes are on the web with many containing garlic, another no-no.
Also, turkey and chicken skins are a no-no, but the meat is great to give them.

By jeff 04/05/2011

I cant believe how many people post answers here, but have no clue what they are talking about. Just go to the spca and see for yourself
http://www.spcai.org/learn/poison-prevention-resources.html

Peanut butter is totally fine, unless they had some allergy but it will put some pounds on them if you give them too much. For the one who said make sure its sugar free, make sure there is no sugar substitute in it, as that is poisonous for the dog.

By linn [50]04/05/2011

I know Chocolate is poison to dogs. I would not feed peanut butter either.

By Mary [71]04/05/2011

Hi Millie, Recently my son sent me a story that a vet wrote to aware people of foods that are toxic to dogs. He tried saving a dog who had got into a box of raisins. Unfortunately the dog died and the vet wanted pet owners to know that grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. I knew about grapes, but not raisins so I looked further into foods and plants that could cause harm to a dog. They do have nuts on the list. They even say you shouldn't use ant baits around the house that contain peanut butter. Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are on top of the list but I decided that any kind of nut would be off limits for my dog. I wouldn't take the chance. They also said that dogs, like people could be allergic to nuts and you wouldn't know it until the level of toxicity started to affect the dog. My motto is better safe than sorry. Just thought I'd share this info that I recently learned with you.

Here are questions related to Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?.

Question: Are Peanuts Good for Dogs?

Are peanuts good for small dogs like a Chihuahua?

By AVI from Bethesda, MD

Most Recent Answer

By Linda L.09/10/2012

Peanuts might be a choking hazard. Most dogs like peanut butter and a little is OK for them.

Question: Honey Peanut Butter as a Dog Treat

Is honey peanut butter OK to feed to my adult dogs as a treat? I would give no more than 1 tablespoon of it.

By Kathleen

Most Recent Answer

By Tess Vowels08/10/2012

I would say yes! My 9 year old loves pb & honey... sparingly, as you said. I alternate his treats. He loves a variety!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Is it o.k. to put peanut butter in my dog's food? It's the only way she eats it and if I don't put it in she won't eat for days, so i usually give in. Is this unhealthy and is there anyway to make her eat food without peanut butter?

PS. I've tried changing the type of dog food but the same problem occurs.

Lilia

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I put PB on my dogs medicine every day and the Doc says that is fine. No harm done.
http://www.frugalforlife.com (09/03/2005)

By FFL

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I don't think it will hurt them, but if you're going to feed it everyday I would look for natural peanut butter. All the added salt and sugar in commercial peanut butters aren't good for anybody. (09/04/2005)

By Heidi

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Lots of dog treats have PB in them, but the calories will add up and you don't want your pet to become overweight. I would suggest that if you want to wean her off PB try putting in gradually less and less over about 2 weeks, and, if she is hungry she will eat food without PB. (09/06/2005)

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Peanut butter is a high value treat for my dogs! I stuff kong toys or sterilized bones with it. Freeze the stuffed toy and it keeps the dogs busy for a while getting all the peanut butter out. Since it is so fatty, however, it is a once a week or so treat. Try mixing plain yogurt or 100% pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) with food. My dogs especially love the pumpkin. Both are high in fiber and low fat. (09/07/2005)

By Sharon

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Does this happen with more than 1 kind of food? Maybe she doesn't like the food. Make sure you buy a good quality one without chemicals, unnatural preservatives, & no byproducts or meal. It should contain all whole ingredients. Good food costs more but if it keeps the dog healthy with fewer trips to the vet it's worth it. I also give my dogs frozen pb kongs as an occasional treat. (09/07/2005)

By Me

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I feed it to my dogs with no problems. Peanut butter is a favorite snack of my dogs and my ferret. TerryfromChilliOH (09/07/2005)

By terdralynn

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Funny, I called my Vet yesterday to ask if it was ok to give the doggies some peanuts. I was eating some peanuts and they went nuts and looked so pitiful The receptionist said it was the first time anyone had asked her that so she checked with doc and he said, YES it was fine. Also that most people give them peanut butter. I sometimes put creamy peanut butter inbetween a couple of mini-bones for a snack. And yes they are spoiled but they are my babies. I watch the fats though. (09/12/2005)

By meoowmom

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

My dogs, Husky and Trailer Park love peanuts, is it OK to feed them (5-6 each) these or should I for go this process (12/24/2005)

By JPK

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Macadamias will kill a dog! Never give this type of nuts to your dogs. Look it up if you don't believe. (03/08/2006)

By EDDIE

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

It is true about macadamias. http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_poisonsafe (03/08/2006)

By ILuvDobes

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I also give my dog meds on a spoonful of peanut butter. It not only makes him take his meds, but it also makes his coat very shiney. (06/08/2006)

By Megan

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

OMG YAH I FEED MY DOGS IT ALL THE TIME hmmmmmmm i wonder if its healthy i only give it to them cause i wanna fatten them up (08/05/2006)

By sheerah

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

If you put it in the dog's food, get Adams All natural Peanut butter (less sugar) because sugar is bad for their kidneys! (08/05/2006)

By camo_angels

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs? There are so many people telling me that peanut butter is great for dogs. Are you saying that that isn't true?

Is processed peanut butter good for dogs?

By Philip from Slidell, LA

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Absolutely not! Not any kind of peanuts, or strawberries, or chocolate, or raw meat. (04/04/2010)

By dolphinfreak

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I have given my dogs, both current and past, peanut butter for many many years with no problems at all. I don't, however, give them a lot of it. It's great for getting pills down them. But other than that, they might get a half teaspoon a couple of times a month. When I do give it though, it is the creamy type, never crunchy.

If someone's dog had problems with peanut butter, that was just that particular dog. Like people, some dogs have different reactions to some things that are perfectly fine for most dogs. There are exceptions to every rule. If you want to try, but are leery about it, try giving your dog just a little bit once a week or so and watch your dog closely. If it has any reaction whatsoever, discontinue the peanut butter immediately. But if not, then you know the dog is OK with it. (04/04/2010)

By Cricketnc

RE: Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Yes, it is safe in moderation, otherwise you would not find treats made with peanuts or peanut butter, and it is a common practice too, per the ASPCA, to stuff Kongs with peanut butter. Just be aware though that dogs are like humans that some might have reactions to foods others may not. (04/06/2010)

By Jron7667

How much peanut butter can I feed my Chihuahua on a regular basis?

Is it alright for a Lab dog to have peanut butter?