Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Is roasted honey nut peanut butter OK for my German Shepherd to eat?

By Millie from Yucaipa, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hi Millie, Recently my son sent me a story that a vet wrote to aware people of foods that are toxic to dogs. He tried saving a dog who had got into a box of raisins. Unfortunately the dog died and the vet wanted pet owners to know that grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. I knew about grapes, but not raisins so I looked further into foods and plants that could cause harm to a dog. They do have nuts on the list. They even say you shouldn't use ant baits around the house that contain peanut butter. Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are on top of the list but I decided that any kind of nut would be off limits for my dog. I wouldn't take the chance. They also said that dogs, like people could be allergic to nuts and you wouldn't know it until the level of toxicity started to affect the dog. My motto is better safe than sorry. Just thought I'd share this info that I recently learned with you.

I know Chocolate is poison to dogs. I would not feed peanut butter either.

I cant believe how many people post answers here, but have no clue what they are talking about. Just go to the spca and see for yourself

http://www.spcai.org/learn/poison-prevention-resources.html

Peanut butter is totally fine, unless they had some allergy but it will put some pounds on them if you give them too much. For the one who said make sure its sugar free, make sure there is no sugar substitute in it, as that is poisonous for the dog.

This link explains about peanut butter given to a dog. Seems there's complications "only" if mold is a present factor.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6371159_p ... _.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

The spca's listing is only a partial list. Spinach is a no, no and regular peas are OK, that is a sweet pea plant this is listed.

Bones are on the spca's list also, but raw bones are actually good for a dog. It's cooked bones that present the problem.

Salt and sugar should also be avoided. Amazes me how many pet recipes are on the web with many containing garlic, another no-no.

Also, turkey and chicken skins are a no-no, but the meat is great to give them.

Hello Millie. I am totally on board with those that say peanut butter is fine for dogs as long as they don't have a peanut allergy. Too boot, (although I don't know everything in the world, darn it. LOL) I know not of a single friend's dog that has or had peanut allergies.

Talk with your vet and do some primary source research to educate yourself on allergic reactions in dogs and proceed with caution. That said, know that thousands and thousands of dogs love peanut butter (mine included) and can consume reasonable amounts of such without any more concern than over feeding as it applies to weight gain.

Just like this post, you should not take everything posted on the web as absolute truth but to give or not give peanut butter is far from a finished debate between dog owners, vet professionals and others.

Please just proceed with an open, educated, mind, enhanced by documented, pet health care professional studies, and real life experiences that come your way. Sorry I can't offer the perfect solution.

Seriously, I've been feeding peanut butter to dogs as a treat for over four decades with absolutely no problem. Again I acknowledge that exceptions could exist, but please do your own research before relying on random web posts that claim all is well or all is bad. Good luck and best wishes for you and your canine fur friend.

Yes, peanut butter is fine for dogs. As long as (as some pf these people have said) the dog has no allergies to it or its ingredients. Also I wouldn't give him a whole lot of it. I used to have a golden retriever and he got no more than one full teaspoon a day. I used it to give him his arthritis and vitamin pills. I now have 2 dachsies and they each get no more than 1/4 teaspoon a day. But for them it's not every day since they take their pills easily without it. I use it as an "extra special" treat.

You didn't ask, but I'll say I also give it to my cat, no more than 1/8 teaspoon a day. Again, for my cat it's only used as an "extra special" treat.

The SPCA lists several things that are perfectly ok for dogs, as long as it's given only in small amounts and/or only occasionally.

Garlic is one thing. Most of us down here in the south have discovered the benefits of giving our dogs and cats a small amount of garlic in their food daily because it keeps the fleas and ticks off them.

So the main thing is, contact several agencies and people including vets in your area. Make sure they are in your part of the country because some of the advice will change depending on where you live. But don't depend on just one source either. Contact many sources, and then use your own best judgment.

One thing tho you do need to check on is what plants, both indoor and outdoor that are toxic to pets. Don't forget that!

Answer

Are peanuts good for small dogs like a Chihuahua?

By AVI from Bethesda, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peanuts might be a choking hazard. Most dogs like peanut butter and a little is OK for them.

Read More Answers...

Is honey peanut butter OK to feed to my adult dogs as a treat? I would give no more than 1 tablespoon of it.

By Kathleen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would say yes! My 9 year old loves pb & honey... sparingly, as you said. I alternate his treats. He loves a variety!

Read More Answers...

Is it alright for a Lab dog to have peanut butter?

By Sandra from West Monroe, NY

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Yes it is! Tons of benefits come from it, and plus(+), dogs love it. I've done research on it, and a dog trainer mentioned it. (01/20/2011)

By Pate18

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

One teaspoon a day would be okay, but I would make sure it's sugar free peanut butter because animals can get diabetes just like humans and actually are more prone to it. (01/20/2011)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How much peanut butter can I feed my Chihuahua on a regular basis?

By Pilla from MO

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

A lot of humans have allergies, some deadly to peanuts and peanut products, but I have yet to learn of a dog that is allergic to such. (Please don't take my word for this and do your own research with web sites, vets, and vet hospitals.) That said, my dogs love peanut butter! And choosy (skin) mom's choose Jif peanut butter for their (fur) babies! (I prefer the name brands as, in recent years, they seem to avoid recall issues that the slightly less expensive brands have faced, but that's just my personal experience.)

My dogs are English Mastiffs: their heads, alone, are at least twice as big as your Chihuahua so I'm overly hesitant to suggest amounts. None-the-less, assuming there are no allergy issues, I can't imagine a teaspoon or so of such a day would harm your pup. Again, do talk to your vet about this before you proceed. One of our dogs needs daily medication and a pill coated with peanut butter goes down smoothly!

Seriously, dogs that can tolerate peanut butter truly love the stuff! But just like humans, too much of a good food can cause unwanted weight gain for dogs, so proceed with caution. Good luck! (12/11/2010)

By KansasCindy

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I would not feed any pets peanut butter, but for a professional opinion I would contact a vet. (12/11/2010)

By foxrun41

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

We have used it for years both as a treat and as a way to get our dogs to take their pills! Peanut butter on 2 graham crackers with the pill in between, one happy dog! And our cat loved to lick the peanut butter from around the edges, she still does. (12/13/2010)

By Lisbet

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Always everything in moderation! As was mentioned already maybe one small teaspoon a day, but I would make sure it's sugar free peanut butter because animals can get diabetes just like humans and actually are more prone to it. (12/13/2010)

By Deeli

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I have a really easy peanut butter dog teat recipe. If you would like it contact me. (12/18/2010)

By leekelly

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is processed peanut butter good for dogs?

By Philip from Slidell, LA

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Absolutely not! Not any kind of peanuts, or strawberries, or chocolate, or raw meat. (04/04/2010)

By dolphinfreak

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

I have given my dogs, both current and past, peanut butter for many many years with no problems at all. I don't, however, give them a lot of it. It's great for getting pills down them. But other than that, they might get a half teaspoon a couple of times a month. When I do give it though, it is the creamy type, never crunchy.

If someone's dog had problems with peanut butter, that was just that particular dog. Like people, some dogs have different reactions to some things that are perfectly fine for most dogs. There are exceptions to every rule. If you want to try, but are leery about it, try giving your dog just a little bit once a week or so and watch your dog closely. If it has any reaction whatsoever, discontinue the peanut butter immediately. But if not, then you know the dog is OK with it. (04/04/2010)

By Cricketnc

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs?

Yes, it is safe in moderation, otherwise you would not find treats made with peanuts or peanut butter, and it is a common practice too, per the ASPCA, to stuff Kongs with peanut butter.

Just be aware though that dogs are like humans that some might have reactions to foods others may not. (04/06/2010)

By Jron7667

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is Peanut Butter Okay for Dogs? There are so many people telling me that peanut butter is great for dogs. Are you saying that that isn't true?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthApril 4, 2011
peanut butter bars with chocolate and bacon
Peanut Butter Bars Recipes
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 8:06:58 PM on 10.0.2.192 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.