Preventing Spyware and Adware

My computer is a magnet for spyware and adware. Frankly, I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't slowing down my computer and locking it up. This is not a symbiotic relationship.

I run and update (every few days) Microsoft's Beta for Spyware, Ad-Aware and SBC Yahoo anti spyware. Spyware Blaster is running in the background. I discontinued Spybot Search because it kept hanging up my computer, although it was very effective for a long time prior to that at finding spyware and adware.

Seems to be a case of locking the barn door after the horse is out. I'd rather stop the spyware than have to go looking for it to clean it up and out after the fact.

I have the cookies set at 'ask for permission', the third party cookies rejected, medium security for internet sites, the pop-up blocker on and I don't really know what else to do. Help!

Wow! With all of that spyware/adware stuff running are you certain that the problem is still spyware? There are lots of things that can cause a system to slow down. Even if it is still Spyware you may be able to start running Spybot again if you clean up your system and hopefully eradicate the conflict that is causing Spybot to crash.

First, I would go and run Trend Micro's Housecall -- it's a free, online virus scanner. I just did it and it found 8 issues that everything else had missed.

There are a bunch of other free programs that I use to keep my computers clean - Regcleaner, Ccleaner, BigFix and Diskeeper Lite (to name a few that I can think of - I'm not at my own computer at the moment). You can find any ot those by doing a quick Google search.

You also need to occasionally run scandisk (chkdsk on Win XP) and defrag your hard drives (Diskeeper Lite does that better than window's built-in utility - I also like Norton Systemworks if you have it, but stopped using it due to problems with tech support).

Do a Google search for "computer maintenance" (including the quotation marks) and dig around for further info.

Good luck!

The following site has good info on preventing spyware and adware. It essentially comes down to taking care with what you download and install and even the sites you surf to.

It sounds like there is something running in the background on your computer. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete and look at your task manager. If there is a large memory usage, then you have something running you probably do not know about. There is a processes tab to tell you what it is. Spyware sometimes secretly installs on your computer and hides. The spyware remover finds the program but not the installer.

I used to have that problem too. I also use CrapCleaner(free), windows cleanup exe(free) and a wonderful spyware program called Spyware Killer Pro. I bought it at Meijers for under 30.00, but you can go to their It found 3600 spyware programs on my daughters computer. It is easy to use and beats all the other spyware programs I have tried. It also has an anonymous surfing program, free product updates, junk file cleaner, and start up cleaner and uninstall programs. I hope this is useful--I wouldn't ever be without my spyware pro again--both my puter and my daughters' runs like new.

Running Anti-Spyware on Your Computer
Computers MaintenanceSeptember 11, 2005
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft