Getting Rid of Mice

How do I get rid of mice?

By baktus from Canada

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Depends on your environment. If you don't have any kids and you have a basement (or the mice are in your shed or barn) acquire a black snake and let him loose (in the basement shed or barn). Tell your friends you are looking for one and to let you know if they find one or catch one for you. This option is nice because the snake takes care of ALL the mice (babies, rats, etc.). And when it is done it travels on to greener and mousier pastures.

Your next option is to use mouse traps. Peanut butter works really god as a bait. Try to get traps that have either holes in the bait tray or a looped end. You want the peanut butter to get into a hard to reach spot or the mice will lick it all off and never set off the trap. Of course this doesn't work if you have kids. The option if you have kids is either get a cat or get mouse traps where the mouse goes in and never comes out. I have never used traps like these but they supposedly work well and are more "humane". But I know the snake, peanut butter and cat options work wonders (unless you get a lazy or vegetarian cat).

Long term effective solution, cats one will do, two are better. Especially if you live in an area where this is going to be a recurring problem. That's why people domesticated cats in the first place vermin control.

The one and only way to get rid of mice is to block the entryway to where they get in. Until you do this you will always have one more mouse. If one can find a way to get in so can the rest.

I got rid of the mice from my mother's trailer in Oklahoma by taking away the food sources. She had a large pantry that had open box, bags, etc. I went to walmart and bought several big plastic boxes with lids and put all bagged and boxed food in the plastic boxes leaving only the canned and jarred food on the shelves. I also cleaned her trailer from top to bottom. She was paying to have her house cleaned weekly but when I flew back to help get her diabetes under control, it was very obvious they were only vacuuming and dusting.

Use steel wool to fill in cracks to keep them from entering the house. I used the glue pads when I had the problem and collected many. When my nephew moved in with 3 cats the mice moved out permanently! I think that's the only way they really go.

www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/mouse

www.themousedepot.com/

www.seabrightlabs.com/mouse.htm

This always took care of my annoying rat problem http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-get-rid-of-mice.html

Answer

I have killed (with old fashioned wooden spring traps and peanut butter) 4 mice in the last 3 months. I live alone and travel a lot so getting a cat or two is out of the question. I've checked all my closets and cupboards and stuffed steel wool in any place I think they could possible get in. Where else can I check? I'm at a loss and totally frustrated!

By Laura

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something to consider is if there is something in your place that is attracting them. Do you notice them in one particular area of your house? We had a mouse problem when they were coming after our dog's food (both the bag of food stored in low cabinet as well as what was in the bow).

We started storing the dog food in a tightly closing plastic container, and fed the dog smaller amounts more frequently so there would be less sitting in her bowl. The dog food seemed to be the food source that was attracting them, and once we got rid of them after doing that they never came back.

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of house mice?

By Joe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you thought of getting a cat.....better yet two.

GG Vi

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of mice?

By S.D. from Syracuse, NY

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mice

You can set mouse traps or if you don't want to hurt them call an exterminator to catch them. (11/09/2010)

By SammyClaire

Getting Rid of Mice

Mice hate the smell of peppermint. Soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and place where mice have been present. They will high tail it out of there. Hope this helps. (11/09/2010)

By ashleybunkin

Getting Rid of Mice

Honestly, the best thing we've found is Sonic Pest Chaser by Victor. I had a new automobile and when I took it in for it's 5,000 mile checkup the mechanic came back to me and showed me where mice had built a nest in the fresh air filter area. I didn't want to kill anything that I might now be able to reach to clear out. By this time I was seeing droppings inside my passenger compartment. So I asked a guy at our local hardware store and he told me about these. I plugged one into an outdoor extension cord and my problems were solved. The first plug lasted over a year and was still working, but I changed it out, just in case. I live in the middle of the woods out in the country. If these work where I live, I'm impressed. (11/11/2010)

By Gypsy Swan

Getting Rid of Mice

You can try a hundred things, but until you plug the hole where they are getting in, you will always have another one. (11/11/2010)

By WeeWillie

Getting Rid of Mice

Get a cat. (11/11/2010)

By louel53

Getting Rid of Mice

Do you have pets such as cats or dogs that live with you? Or small children? If not, you can use Dcon. They eat it and they can't burp it up so they die, but you don't want a dog, cat, or child to get into it because it can be just as poisonous to them. I only recommend this if you have only adults in the home that know enough to leave it alone. (11/12/2010)

By tanyamichalski

Getting Rid of Mice

Set a mouse trap with peanut butter (which mice love) under the kitchen sink. I have heard that once you catch a mouse with a trap and try to re-use it, mice can smell the dead mouse and it is almost impossible to catch a second one. Mouse traps are cheap, so when you catch a mouse, throw the trap away with the mouse, then set a new one.

With mouse poison, the mice sometimes go to the center of a room and die on the floor, not a fun thing to step on. That is one of several reasons that I recommend mouse traps instead of poison. (11/14/2010)

By Anonymous

Getting Rid of Mice

We had a bad mouse problem at our business and after many traps and poison (a lot of smell from dead ones in the ceiling) we put wintergreen alcohol in a sprayer bottle and sprayed all through the ceiling and finally they left. We also used an ozone machine for the odor. It worked miracles! (11/24/2010)

By Lyn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Will boric acid kill mice which have housed themselves outside in our window wells? I thought I could sprinkle it down inside the window well, as I see them running around on the rocks!

By Paula

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mice

You must be thinking of borax (a powder) as opposed to boric acid (usually a liquid)? I have never heard of either of them having much effect on animals. Borax does affect insects. I would keep looking for a better solution. (09/28/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Getting Rid of Mice

I have a plastic container of Boric Acid called Roach Away made by Enoz. The ingredients are "active Ingredient Boric Acid 99% and Inert Ingredients 1%." I think the Inert ingredients are probably to keep the powder from becoming one big hard lump due to humidity. We bought it in 1996 at a hardware store in Tennessee when we rented a motor home in Winston Salem NC that had cockroaches. We sprinkled the Boric Acid powder under and behind everything in the Motor Home and never saw another Cockroach.

My container which is still about 3/4 full is still mostly a powder. Does have a few tiny lumps in it. There is a "keep out of reach of children" caution on it. With a Statement of practical treatment which says immediately contact poison control center or physician if swallowed. If eye contact occurs flush eyes with plenty of water. Get medical attention if irritation persists. It is Manufactured by Wilbert Home Products Inc 404 Park Avenue St Louis Mo 83110.

We use humane traps for mice, and release them in the woods behind our house. Our children always had gerbils when they were young and mice remind us too much of the gerbils so I think that is the reason we can't bring ourselves to kill them. (09/29/2010)

By Kathryen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I keep mice out of a house and then kill them when they get in, without using poisons that when the mice die the smell is so bad for a few days.

By Nana from Greensboro, NC

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mice

I suppose you don't like cats? It is the best way I know. There is nothing a cat loves more than hunting and killing mice. (08/24/2010)

By Ann Parker

Getting Rid of Mice

You need to do a few things:

1. Snap traps will effectively kill the rodents so that they don't return, period. Because so many people put out poison, a mouse with a belly full will kill the cat that eats it.

2. Find the holes where they are coming in. A mouse can squeeze into any opening 1/4 of an inch and larger. Once you find a hole fill it with chalk and steel wool. Mice are territorial, so once you have sealed things up you won't have to deal with a re-infestation for awhile.

3. Clean house. That means all your shelves and drawers, not just the kitchen needs to be cleaned. Mice will hold up where ever they find food and shelter. If that means chewing their way into under bed blanket storage, into toys on the top shelf, burrowing into the linen closet bed sheets, or making a nice nest in the back of where the pots and pans are stored; they will find a way. Use bleach solution for your clean up. Ammonia based cleaning solutions will not completely clear the mouse scent. You want to communicate to them that they are not welcome.
Good luck. Been there. Hated it. (08/24/2010)

By Beccaj23

Getting Rid of Mice

A few winters ago we had a ton of mice. We bought those glue mice traps and they worked well. I placed a small piece of cracker in the middle of the glue trap so the mouse would walk to get it-then promptly got stuck! We were going through so many traps though so we ended up pulling the mice off so we could re-use the traps.

Good luck to you! (08/24/2010)

By LisaE2

Getting Rid of Mice

Get a cat. Even if they don't kill mice, mice will leave. Several years ago, I didn't have a cat. Within a week, I caught 26 mice with wooden traps baited with peanut butter. You could sit several rooms away from where the traps were and hear them go off! I even caught four mice in one trap at once. Last year I was without a cat again. We got a kitten, and caught mice with wooden traps with peanut butter and fed the mice to Silver. He would run to the kitchen when he heard a trap spring anticipating the fresh kill! (08/24/2010)

By angel1954

Getting Rid of Mice

I am in a situation now that mice are not problem. When I did have to catch them, I used the standard snap mouse trap. My "bait" was a dab of peanut butter with a small piece of uncooked spaghetti sticking out of it. The mice would press on the peanut butter to get the pasta and boom, they were caught. I once caught two mice side by side in one trap. (08/24/2010)

By knitter926

Getting Rid of Mice

Buy the electronic rodent repellers. They are relatively inexpensive and you plug them into every room, you must keep the outlets clear so the sound emissions will be heard by any rodent nearby. They work amazingly well, I love them. (08/26/2010)

By yoder178

Getting Rid of Mice

I have always had a cat, but she died a few months ago. I never saw her catch a mouse, but I also never saw any mice. A week and a half ago I discovered there were mice. I have 5 ultrasonic repellers in a 2000 square foot house and I actually saw a mouse sail right past me. I am for traps, pulling up holes, and getting another cat. (09/18/2010)

By sij325

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you keep mice out of drawers?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get rid of mice in an old house?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get rid of mice?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have mice in my home. I have tried everything I can, but they are always here. Poison, traps, they know about them. What should I do?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We live in the woods, and recently some field mice have found their way into the house. We need some advice on getting rid of them without danger to pets.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceApril 17, 2011
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
Peppermint Oil
Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:20:53 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.