Getting Rid of Mice

Category Rodents
Mice can enter your home through incredibly small openings. This is a page about getting rid of mice.

Related Product:

When trapping mice using the spring-type mouse traps, place in a paper bag. When the mouse is caught, pick up the bag and discard. Also, the first time you set up the trap, add bait, but don't set the trap. The next time, set the trap. This will sometimes "fake-out" the mouse, and it may be more willing to go after the bait in the set trap.

Source: A friend.

By it's.only.me from NE PA

Last night my husband woke me up to tell me that we had a mouse. Now, I don't leave food out, and I consider my house to be clean but some how we have a mouse. So we put out several mouse traps with cheese on them and much to our suprise this morning the cheese was gone but we had no mouse. Now what do we do? Any one have any suggestions?

Shannon in NC

Answers

By Dennis (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hard cheese is easily removed by the mouse without getting trapped. Try using squeezable cheese or some peanut butter. The mouse will have to lick it and is more likely to get trapped. The mice come in the house through very small holes in the floor, like where your water pipes come in. Get a can of expandable foam at your local hardware store and fill in all the holes in your floors, walls, etc. ""

By Kimberlina (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can put peanut butter on the traps instead of cheese. Mice love it and they can't just snag it and pull it out of the trap.

I have killed (with old fashioned wooden spring traps and peanut butter) 4 mice in the last 3 months. I live alone and travel a lot so getting a cat or two is out of the question. I've checked all my closets and cupboards and stuffed steel wool in any place I think they could possible get in. Where else can I check? I'm at a loss and totally frustrated!

By Laura

Answers

Best Answer

Check around the pipes under your sinks, and around the electrical or gas pipes behind your stove and pack steel wool or cut a can lid to fit tight around the pipe or gas line or electric cord. That's a place they easily can get into. They can squeeze thru a 1/4" hole.

I have mice again. I've successfully used mouse traps until this year. Ants have invaded the house, too. I have set out ant baits, but the ants still get the peanut butter in the mouse traps before a mouse can even be caught. What mouse bait can be used that the ants won't get?

By M.P.

Answers

Best Answer

The question is getting the ants before they get the peanut butter. Terro is a great product that isn't expensive. If you put it where critters and kids can not get it you are better off. But, Terro is made with borax and while in small amounts, is harmless to critters and kids, it should be hidden.
www.ehow.com/facts_5144983_terro-ant-killer-poisonous...
It's amazing and works. Check out the facts and then try some on a piece of cardboard behind the stove or under the sink. Also you can sprinkle cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper around your house/windows. They also don't like chalk.
The best way to eliminate the return of ants is to make your home undesirable so they go elsewhere. I hope this helps.

How do I get rid of mice?

By baktus from Canada

Answers

Depends on your environment. If you don't have any kids and you have a basement (or the mice are in your shed or barn) acquire a black snake and let him loose (in the basement shed or barn). Tell your friends you are looking for one and to let you know if they find one or catch one for you. This option is nice because the snake takes care of ALL the mice (babies, rats, etc.). And when it is done it travels on to greener and mousier pastures.

Your next option is to use mouse traps. Peanut butter works really god as a bait. Try to get traps that have either holes in the bait tray or a looped end. You want the peanut butter to get into a hard to reach spot or the mice will lick it all off and never set off the trap. Of course this doesn't work if you have kids. The option if you have kids is either get a cat or get mouse traps where the mouse goes in and never comes out. I have never used traps like these but they supposedly work well and are more "humane". But I know the snake, peanut butter and cat options work wonders (unless you get a lazy or vegetarian cat).

Long term effective solution, cats one will do, two are better. Especially if you live in an area where this is going to be a recurring problem.

That's why people domesticated cats in the first place vermin control.

The one and only way to get rid of mice is to block the entryway to where they get in. Until you do this you will always have one more mouse. If one can find a way to get in so can the rest.

I got rid of the mice from my mother's trailer in Oklahoma by taking away the food sources. She had a large pantry that had open box, bags, etc. I went to walmart and bought several big plastic boxes with lids and put all bagged and boxed food in the plastic boxes leaving only the canned and jarred food on the shelves. I also cleaned her trailer from top to bottom. She was paying to have her house cleaned weekly but when I flew back to help get her diabetes under control, it was very obvious they were only vacuuming and dusting.

Use steel wool to fill in cracks to keep them from entering the house. I used the glue pads when I had the problem and collected many. When my nephew moved in with 3 cats the mice moved out permanently! I think that's the only way they really go.

www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/mouse
www.themousedepot.com/
www.seabrightlabs.com/mouse.htm

This always took care of my annoying rat problem howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/.../how-to-get-rid-of-mice.html

How do I get rid of house mice?

By Joe

Answers

Old fashion snap-traps seem to be the best. Peanut butter, real butter, or raisins seem the most attractive and effective as bait. Moth balls where they come in will help keep them out. There is a reason they are coming in and one reason may be food supply. Find out if it is shelter or food. If food, also eliminate that supply.

You can try every remedy everyone suggests but until you plug up the hole where the mice get in, you will not solve your problem. Find that hole and plug it with steel wool, or something that mice will not eat and your solution is accomplished.

Peppermint oil on cotton or absorbent material in areas where they go or come in will send them away. A live trap called tin cat is great in that when caught you put them in the woods for nature. Owl food and the like. It becomes fun to catch and release. Use care that they do not stay unattended in the tin cat for too long as they would suffer. Suffering is not nice and comes back to bite you in the butt.

Have you thought of getting a cat.....better yet two.
GG Vi

Aside from putting peppermint oil on a cotton ball, what can we add to the peppermint to make it a new product? We badly need you're answer. It's a big help for us in our S.I.P. Is it possible to add peppermint oil in mice block poison? And it would be effective? And last, what are the compounds/ingredients used in making a mice block poison? 'Cause I can't find it in the internet. Or in this specific website.

By gabrielle villaruel

What bait can I put on my mouse traps that the little tiny ants will not be attracted to? I see no remedies that actually work for this anywhere on the internet. I would like these mice out of my house.

Please help!

What is the best way to catch or get rid of field mice?

How do you get rid of rats and mice inside and outside? I want to kill them without a trap. Thanks.

I need a recommendation for an excellent remedy for mice. We have a rental apt. in a brownstone and have been plagued with mice issues pretty much the entire time. Landlord continues to use an ineffective NYC exterminator. I have several months left on my lease and I need to get rid of the mice problem once and for all even if I am stuck paying. Please let me know if you know anyone who can get rid of them for good!

What is the best way to get rid of mice? I have set traps and sometimes I catch them, but they seem to come back.

By Marion H

Will peppermint tea get rid of mice?

By fae gordon from Australia

Answers

I can't honestly say, but you could google it, too. I do know that Mother Earth News once ran an article that said that soda pop will kill them since they have a one way digestive system and can't burp. Give both a try? Good luck!

There are a number of methods used to get rid of mice without the use of poison or traps. This is a page about using peppermint oil for mice control.

Fresh peppermint and oil on wooden background.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about getting rid of mice naturally. Using traps and poisons to rid your home of mice may not be something you want to do.

Black mouse on brown burlap bag

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about getting rid of mice in an apartment. Getting rid of mice in an apartment can be challenging, particularly since there are common walls and you are not completely in control of the situation.

Mouse hole in wall with a mouse peeking out

Load More

Home and Garden Pest Control RodentsMarch 23, 2013
📓
😎
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Mice-7.html