Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

Category Mice
Using traps and poisons to rid your home of mice may not be something you want to do. This is a guide about getting rid of mice naturally.

There are a number of methods used to get rid of mice without the use of poison or traps. This is a guide about using peppermint oil for mice control.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I get rid of mice naturally in my house?

By cshell

Answers

Best Answer

I hate that I did this, but when we had a mice invasion in our home a few years ago I finally gave into my husband's suggestion of poison. Previously, at my insistence, we tried several different catch and release gadgets and home remedies with absolutely no success. Too boot, our older, indoor cat was merely amused by watching the critters run away and honestly thought she had done all that was expected by just observing! She was 12 years old that winter and had never seen a mouse in the house, let alone the yard, so really was a well intended, sweet natured, pet!

I'm not "scared" of mice, but it does freak me out when I see one out of the corner of my eye scurrying across the INDOOR floor. (Yes I've been known to scream and jump up insanely, again, just startled, not frightened. Okay, I confess, my husband didn't believe this story either: Scared me silly as that less than golf ball sized, brown, blob with legs ran across the floor in the room we shared!)

Then I got irritated when one or some got into an unopened box of Bisquick in the pantry. (Darn it, I wanted pancakes for breakfast that morning.) What signed their death warrant was mouse droppings on a skillet in a cabinet with no food, how dare they?

I'm sorry the critters died but they were not invited guests and couldn't take a hint that they were not welcomed in our home. Seriously, we captured a snake in a pillowcase once (he got in via the dirt floor basement of our very old home) and released him into the wild. The only bugs I kill outright are flies and mosquitoes as others are usually caught and released. But these mice, these fast and furious and hungry mice, refused to cease, desist and evacuate even with a free pass (the humane traps.)

Not advocating killing all pests, but some just need to go, regardless! Hoping your mice get smart and leave but if not, it's your house, not theirs so act accordingly, ASAP! If you can find a "natural" way, please share such. Otherwise, I understand! :-)

Best Answer

Find all the entrance holes to your house, anything larger than the size of a quarter. Fill holes with steel wool (medium to fine) and one moth ball. Also place steel wool and moth ball into any holes around pipes like under sinks. Close up any access that they may have to your cupboards. Make sure doors close tightly and there are no holes or access points into your cupboards on the inside of the cupboard. That should help prevent the return of the mice.

Next place good old spring type mouse traps near your garbage can, but out of the way of you stepping on the trap. Bait trap with peanut butter. This will catch any inside of the house. Next, is there anywhere nearby that the mice can be breeding. If you live in the country, there isn't anything you can do, however, if you live in the city the mice may be breeding nearby and entering your house for food.

For me, the mice were breeding in an old abandoned truck on my neighbours property. Once the truck was gone, so were the mice.

Best Answer

Mother Earth News is on sale right now for only $10 a year! Great for natural solutions!
There is an ad in there for "Fresh Cab"..... don't know what the name means, but it looks like small little pouches and says it is the safest, most effective rodent repellent available. No poisons! You can find out more at www.earth-kind.com or by calling them at 800-583-2921.

I haven't tried these as eucalyptus sprigs around the house seem to work well for me, but if you are really having problems getting rid of them, you might give these folks a try.
Also, try getting the magazine. It is cheap for the year and will teach you allkinds of neat solutions, earth friendly ways of doing things, and much much more. I love the magazine. Mom got it for me for Christmas but I have been a fan at the library for years. Go figure I could have had my own for only $10 a month! www.motherearthnews.com

Is there a way to naturally repel mice from a home besides a cat, lol?

By Cathy

Answers

Best Answer

"Mashed potato powder or buds. Place instant mashed potato powder or buds in strategic places with a dish of water close by. After eating the powder or buds mice will need water. This causes fatal bloating."

Source: Michigan State University Extension, Home Maintenance and Repair - 01500631

Best Answer

Peppermint. I plant peppermint around my house and use the leaves to make a spray which I use inside. Rodents do not like it. Haven't had a mouse in years.

Does peppermint oil repel mice?

By P Richardson

Answers

Some people say that it does, but personally, I prefer a cat. I think they are more effective.

I am looking for ways to get rid of mice naturally.

By stacy from Travelers Rest, SC

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

I take it you are concerned with mice in the home. The natural way is too fine and close any entrance way the mice have found to enter the home. Or contact an exterminator and ask them for suggestions. Forget moths balls and other house hold items that don't work. (10/03/2009)

By Deanj

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

The best way to get rid of mice naturally is to own a female cat. (10/03/2009)

By Patricia Eldridge

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

I have used peppermint oil, sprayed around areas they may enter, they deter the smell. Another method is to block the access they have to the home. Stuff steel wool in these cracks, they will not chew through them, they hate it, and will not chew through it. Another thing is they hate dryer sheets, don't like the smell. You could also inset them where mice be be getting in. Hope it helps. (10/03/2009)

By Louise snyder

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

Don't use steel wool to block any mouse holes as it rusts and comes apart. Better to the copper wool available at your local super market. Should be located next to the steel wool. (10/04/2009)

By Deanj

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

I read on this site a while back about putting out ex lax. Search for the tip, it was a great tip! Also, the electronic things you plug in, our rental had mice and we used one down by the breaker box plug in to send signals through the house. We then used ones in each room that kept them from wanting to be in the room, then my husband went around and looked for openings and filled those in. It seemed to work! (10/06/2009)

By Jamie

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

I vote for the cat. (10/06/2009)

By Louise B.

Getting Rid of Mice Naturally

Awhile back, in our old apt, we kept catching mice in my DD's closet. Someone told me to use baking soda. I sprinkled it all over her closet floor, and in any cracks between the walls and floor. We had no more mice. Thank Goodness, as DD and I are terrified of them. Before they were entering thru the closet we had them coming in the kitchen. Found out when the landlord remodeled they did not close the space at the bottom of the cabinet by the stove. I tried the dryer sheets in the kitchen when we had mice, and the baby's would go over/under them and wander into the living room. So, that did not work for them. Found out where they were coming from in the kitchen and blocked that with some kind of metal that the landlord gave me. (10/07/2009)

By janice