Getting Rid of the Odor of Dead Mice

Category Odors
Closeup dead rodent in apartment house on background of wall
If you have had a mouse die in a crawl space or between walls, it can be difficult to get rid of the bad stench the carcass leaves. This is a guide about getting rid of the odor of dead mice.

Once mice have been in residence in a house they can die in the walls and heating system, making them difficult to find. This guide is about rodent odor in walls and vents.

Rodent Trap

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I get rid of the smell of dead mice? We moved into a rural home about 6 months ago. I have deep cleaned more than once, but can still smell the aroma in a couple of closets.

By Stacy from OK

Answers

Best Answer

Good old fashioned vinegar! It kills any odor or stain and when it dries the vinegar smell goes away. I have ferrets so trust me when I say it works. You can spray it on full strength. My mom always used that odor ban stuff, but it reeks to me (I guess its better then decaying rats thou!).

Best Answer

Maybe put a box of baking soda in each closet? There are also odor absorbing compounds you can buy at places like Bed Bath & Beyond.

Best Answer

We had the same problem at our family business only on a larger scale. We purchased a small ozone machine and it has worked miracles. We bought ours locally but you could try looking for one online. We have also used it to remove smoke odors from cars and it works great. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Believe it or not; kitty litter is a good odor eliminator! Put kitty litter in an open container like a flower pot and set in the closet or put it in an odd sock and tie the sock shut and drape it over the clothes rod. Do this in each closet. You will notice a difference in just a couple of days or so. I am assuming you washed the baseboards and flooring well in the closets with a strong cleaner. If there is carpet on the floor, just sprinkle kitty litter on the carpet and let it set for a week then vacuum it up.

Best Answer

I've heard that Peppermint will help hide the smell until it dissipates. Try Peppermint oil.

How can I get rid of dead mouse smells?

By M Anderson

Best Answer

If it is really a dead mouse smell it will go away in about ten days. Sometimes mice get trapped in walls and can't get out.