Using a Toaster Oven

I never thought I had a need for a toaster oven before, but I finally got one. I know my questions will sound stupid to existing users, so please excuse me. When making regular toast on the wire rack, shouldn't both sides brown? Also, a lot of frozen dinners (Hungry Man, for example) list 2 cooking methods, conventional oven and microwave. Is a toaster oven considered to be a conventional oven, and therefore able to cook this frozen dinner? Thanks!

By Lawrence

Unless you have a heating element on the top and bottom of the toaster oven you would have to turn the bread/toast. I can remember before my folks had electricity on their farm they made toast in the oven and my Mother had to turn it over.

Check the settings on the toaster oven. Sometimes they have a setting just for toast which will utilize both the upper and lower elements to toast both sides.

Redhatterb, my mom used the oven also to make us toast. Many times she would forget it and it would be slightly burned. I grew up with it more burned than not and that is still the way I like my toast.

Lawrence, yes, it would be considered a conventional oven but mine does not bake as well as my regular oven. I make the small pizzas in mine and a few other things. I really like it for certain things.

No question is stupid if an answer is wanted, that said, the use of your oven depends on your particular oven. If it is a larger one and there are heating elements on both top and bottom then the bread should be toasted on both top and bottom. However, the side closer to the heating element will be browned first requiring the bread be turned over when the first side is browned. As for heating frozen dinners, again it depends on your oven. If it has temperature settings then it should be adequate for that. I am able to cook a 12" pizza, bake a pie or casserole, bake bread, or cook any kind of meat requiring an oven. Just experiment and watch closely at first and you will be able to learn just what your appliance is capable of. Good luck to you.

I have a small toaster oven which is fine for cooking chicken, pork chops, meatloaf, or casseroles. It uses less energy than my electric oven. Just make sure the food does not touch the heating element. I use the temperature required for the recipe and just use less time. For two people this works great, and in the summer, who wants to heat their kitchen? I am sure you could go online for recipes, too. It's a great tool!

Blue Toaster Oven
Using A Toaster Oven
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsOctober 8, 2010
A messy toaster.
Cleaning a Toaster
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning a Toaster Oven
Cleaning a Toaster Oven
Chocolate chip cookies and milk.
Making Cookies in a Toaster Oven
🎄
🍂