Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Spray Painting a Bird Feeder

I have a bird feeder with an all over verdigris finish that has completely rusted. I was wondering is it safe to spray paint it or will it harm the birds?

Michelle from Delaware

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Barb (Guest Post)06/07/2006

Hi....I work for a factory that makes the metal weathervanes, bird feeders, etc....I do the hand painting and we use a lacquer base paint and put a clear coat spray over the top....As soon as they are dry you can use them....Probably the spray paint will work too...Shouldn't bother the birds but you may want to put a clear coat over the top...It does make the color stay a lot longer.....Good luck....

By Laura [3]06/07/2006

You can paint the house, but don't put it out for the birds to use this year. Once the birds have done producing offspring...sometimes two sets of baby birds, then put the bird houses out. Let them stay out all year so that they are weathered. The ones we stained a number of years ago, we always get birds returning and using them throughout the spring/summer. We also put them on the back of our shed, where they seem to enjoy it more than other places we have bird houses.

Oops...bird feeder...needs to weather some..just leave out with no food for right now.

By Kelly [15]06/07/2006

The spray paint shouldn't harm the birds as long as it drys completely. Rustoleum makes some great paints (at Walmart or whereever) specifically for the rusted over metals.