Repainting a Metal Bird Feeder

I have a birdfeeder that is made of metal, and rusted in one spot. I would like to paint it. I have sanded that spot and all around it. Could you please tell me if Rustoleum would be the correct paint to use.

Best Answer

Yes, that would be the correct paint to use.

It is also recommended to use a prime coat to do the job properly.

Reference: kellymoore.com/.../metal

Rust-Oleum Universal Advanced formula spray paint or any other of their products are not safe environmentally for birds or animals. The 800 323 3584, option #4 will direct you to the customer service and she will patch you into the product information as I have done today.
Not only do they not have a product safe for animals and birds they could not refer me to anyone else

Best Answer

Just be sure the paint you use is lead-free and non-toxic as it is possible the birds may peck some of this when getting food.

Most bird information sites state that paint will last longer if it is brushed on instead of spraying on. It is recommended to use a primer but also a final coat of polyurethane, clear top coat.

That is fine, yes. You might want to use a paint primer first.

Yes, it is-the rustoleum for metal.

Rustoleum makes an orange colored primer. Paint the color of your choice over that. Rustoleum makes both flat and shiny finishes.

Most birders will tell you that due to heat buildup, metal feeders are not a good idea. If you really like this feeder, please hang it in a shady place after you have painted it with safe paint and given it a 'rest' period.