Keeping Pigeons Away from a Bird Feeder

Backyard bird feeders often attract birds other than the song birds you may be hoping for. This is a guide about keeping pigeons away from a bird feeder.

I love feeding the birds and squirrels but in doing so get tons of pigeons and they take over my bird feeders. How can I feed my birds but not welcome pigeons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Noreen from Wyandotte, Mi

Answers

I know the difference between pidgeons and doves--I have them both and love the doves. I helped circulate petitions to help stop the doves from being hunted on our last election in Michigan and the doves won!

Pigeons need love too. If you still prefer to pigeon-hole certain bird types, perhaps you could post a sign that says "NO PIGEONS ALLOWED"? You could try writing it in pigeon-english.

What a bunch of pigeon/dove lovers here! Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in answering the question.
The bird store where I buy my seed told me to not to buy the seed with millet (the small round yellow seed) in it. It worked for me for a number of months. I just put my birdfeeder out a few days ago (being away all summer) and after two days the pigeons and doves are back.

I like pigeons just don't want them eating all the birdseed. They chase away the birds and I'll have a back yard full of pigeons. I used to get a varity of birds.

Anonymous

Pigeons are an absolute nuisance! I have doves, pigeons, native wild birds and squirrels. The pigeons eat all the food and poop everywhere. I am trying to find a way to feed the squirrels as I have squirrel proof bird feeders but still want to feed squirrels without pigeons eating everything.

not to mention the poooooooooooooooooo they leave EVERYWHERE they are a very dirty bird

I am trying to attract various small birds to my feeder. Is there anyone out there with any tips on how to keep pigeons away from this feeder? I have bought a feeder that has bars around it so that the small birds can get in but keeps the big ones out. That didn't work, the pigeons can fit their heads through the bars. Please help!

Leona from Newfoundland

Answers:

How To Keep Pigeons Away From Bird Feeder

We made a bird with outstretched wings out of cardboard and hung it up as a test. It scared the pigeons. We can go outside with our arms outstretched without saying anything and they will take off. It's the bird in the prey mode. We've searched for something made out of plastic or anything that can last outside and haven't been successful. I feed the various small critters out of bowls and the pigeons just wipe out the food in minutes. We're determined to keep working on it. It's very frustrating. (07/18/2005)

By Vicki

I am buying a squirt gun as a last resort. The one I ordered squirts up to 25 feet. I'll let you know if it works. (10/22/2005)

By Allegra

Use that cardboard as a stencil for a wooden version. You could then paint it really scary and hang it from a swivel somehow - then it could almost double as weather-vane.
(02/17/2006)

By Qryztufre

Forget the squirt gun, as it only works when you are out there chasing them. The rest of the time they are gorging on the seed you so generously set out for the other birds.

Go with the phony bird profile. (04/27/2007)

By Joe B.

My motto is if you can't beat them join them. It can be very hard to get rid of some birds and not others. You could try changing the feed, but then you may not attract the birds you like. You could also try attaching a dish to the bottom of your feeder so the seeds don't fall on the ground. I have decided to welcome the birds, pigeons, and squirrels. We enjoy watching them and seeing them come back daily. My kids have even named them. They really are entertaining. If they are being destructive then you should take down the feeder, otherwise, enjoy the beauty of nature. Good luck (10/04/2007)

By S Singer

The water gun is a failure. But I found a hose with high pressure will scare them away. I tried it, and they haven't been back since. (07/16/2008)

By anonymous

I used to use a regular feeder and had 50+ pigeons every day. I built a larger feeder with 1 1/2 or 2 " chickenwire mesh. The pigeons put their heads thru and tried to get the food but couldn't reach it. Very quickly they gave up. I've had the little one for 2 years now and have just built one twice as big. (08/12/2008)

By Steven (Albuquerque)

RE: How To Keep Pigeons Away From Bird Feeder

I live in the city and feed birds on my fire escape. Keeping pigeons away is impossible. So I tried multiple feeders: a platform for pigeons and hanging ones for small birds. But the pigeons and doves go to great lengths to balance on the small feeders and eat the seed! The only time small birds come to feed is when I make seed hangers using bagels or paper towel tubes with peanut butter and seed or buy hanging seed bells. Once I even had a downy woodpecker eat at one! (10/23/2008)

By Christina

I love to feed the birds, but now I am getting pigeons feeding too. I there a way to stop them from coming but keep the other birds?
Thanks for the help

Sue

Answers:

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Sue, are you sure they're pigeons? My husband thought we had pigeons, too, but when he asked me about them, I told him they were doves. Not all doves are white, as some people believe. If they make a "coo"ing sound, they're doves. They're much larger than the chickadees, finches and other birds we have in our area. In our area, we have ravens that stand about 1 1/2 ft. high (largest ones I've ever seen!) I don't like them in my yard either, but it's like they've all got to eat & they know I feed the other birds. I've shooed the ravens off on occasion, they don't come around much anymore. (06/25/2004)

By badwater

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Badwater
I have the doves too but I don't mind them because I love the cooing.
thanks sue (06/27/2004)

By Pepperwepper

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Poor pigeons! They get no respect. :( (09/11/2004)

By Myra