Keeping Pigeons Away from a Bird Feeder

Backyard bird feeders often attract birds other than the song birds you may be hoping for. This is a page about keeping pigeons away from a bird feeder.

I love feeding the birds and squirrels but in doing so get tons of pigeons and they take over my bird feeders. How can I feed my birds but not welcome pigeons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Noreen from Wyandotte, Mi

Answers

By Noreen (Guest Post)

I know the difference between pidgeons and doves--I have them both and love the doves. I helped circulate petitions to help stop the doves from being hunted on our last election in Michigan and the doves won!

By (Guest Post)

Pigeons need love too. If you still prefer to pigeon-hole certain bird types, perhaps you could post a sign that says "NO PIGEONS ALLOWED"?

You could try writing it in pigeon-english.

By srose (Guest Post)

What a bunch of pigeon/dove lovers here! Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in answering the question.
The bird store where I buy my seed told me to not to buy the seed with millet (the small round yellow seed) in it. It worked for me for a number of months. I just put my birdfeeder out a few days ago (being away all summer) and after two days the pigeons and doves are back.

By samfran (Guest Post)

I like pigeons just don't want them eating all the birdseed. They chase away the birds and I'll have a back yard full of pigeons. I used to get a varity of birds.

Anonymous

Pigeons are an absolute nuisance! I have doves, pigeons, native wild birds and squirrels. The pigeons eat all the food and poop everywhere.

I am trying to find a way to feed the squirrels as I have squirrel proof bird feeders but still want to feed squirrels without pigeons eating everything.

not to mention the poooooooooooooooooo they leave EVERYWHERE they are a very dirty bird

I would have no problem with pigeons, per say. The problem arises with the fact that it's not only a few birds. If allowed to stay, the few become 25 then 50 then more and the birds you are actually seeking to feed can't eat because the numerous and gluttonous pigeons eat everything!

Hi..I also have a problem with pigeans eating my bird feed...love feeding the small birds. The pigeons are awful....I put an fake owl out by the feeder and it seems to help.

Funny! Re: pigeons, I live in the city; they leave so much, and I mean so much bird doo on my Terrace.

It's kind of sad because I can't feed all the lovely birds out there except for the bluebirds to whom I give peanuts.

Pigeons are as bad as rats, they poo everywhere, keep other birds at bay and gorge on the bird seed. My suggestion to the person that says put up a sign in pigeon language should post their address so the pigeons can converge on the wise asses house. Pigeons are a health problem, and Clark county should spend money to help eliminate the problem.

I DO NOT WANT THE PIGEONS DISTROYING MY BIRD FEEDERS BY HANGING ON TO IT. WHAT CAN I DO?

Anonymous

Doesn't the owl scare the other birds away ?

Anonymous

I agree the pigeons hog all the food from the small birds.

I tried the Owl decoy, but it only worked for a few days. If you have a round feeder, get a pack of plastic tie downs (I used 7 1/2 inch) and attach them onto a flat bungee cord with a 1 inch spacing.

Wrap the cord around the feeder so the tie downs are pointing slightly up. Pigeons hate it but smaller birds have no problem.

I need a platform feeder that will fit doves, but not pigeons. I have hanging feeders without a tray for sparrows, etc., but my doves prefer a open platform feeder.

Answers

Lowes has this one. m.lowes.com/.../50321359?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol...

Hi,

I have seen several of these. I would check ebay before buying one that is higher priced. Here is a link to several of the platform feeders.

www.google.com/search?q=Platform+Style+Feeder+for...

Blessings,

Robyn

I have doves eating all my birdseed. I tried a squirt gun, I tried not feeding the birds for a couple of weeks. As soon as I put seed back out it didn't take long for them to come back. Also it's not just eating my seed, but they sit up on my new roof and pick the gravel off my shingles. They ruin your shingles too. I love birds, but I would like the smaller ones to eat too. How do I get rid of doves?

Answers

This is a perennial problem we all face when we feed birds...that and squirrels and deer...sigh...

Doves love millet, cracked corn, wheat and sunflower seeds, so if you can find a food where those are NOT the primary ingredients, it reduces the chances they visit. Maybe it is where I am, but a blend like that is not the easiest to find. Something like thistle and safflower seeds...will draw in the little guys and turn off the doves (for the most part).

Combine that with a thin narrow feeder...either a tube or one a wire pouch (wire basket)--the kind that hold suet may dissuade the doves...unless they are super bold like we grow them in the Burgh.

You could always switch over to a hummingbird feeder and find a natural liquid for them.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Get a few feeders

You may have to try using just feeders for the little finches as I do not think doves will bother those slim feeders with tiny back seeds.

Not sure what you can do about the gravel but maybe use some of this if you can use it in a small area.

www.homedepot.com/.../203231405

Does anyone know how to keep the pigeons and doves from hogging up the bird feeder?

I am trying to attract various small birds to my feeder. Is there anyone out there with any tips on how to keep pigeons away from this feeder. I have bought a feeder that has bars around it so that the small birds can get in but keeps the big ones out. That didn't work, the pigeons can fit their heads through the bars. Please help!

Leona from Newfoundland

Answers

There are available, large diameter cages with holes small enough to prevent larger birds, especially pigeons, from reaching the feeders.These work extremely well. The other problem is that any food dropped from the feeder obviously falls to the ground and becomes a great feast for pigeons. The solution for that is to purchase and install trays that mount just under the cage and catch most of what would become dinner for pigeons. If any pigeons remain, it is usually only a few as there isnt enough feed to interest a flock. More maintenance is obviously required to keep the trays clean but it is worth it.

I love to feed the birds, but now I am getting pigeons feeding too. I there a way to stop them from coming but keep the other birds?
Thanks for the help

Sue

Answers:

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Sue, are you sure they're pigeons? My husband thought we had pigeons, too, but when he asked me about them, I told him they were doves. Not all doves are white, as some people believe. If they make a "coo"ing sound, they're doves. They're much larger than the chickadees, finches and other birds we have in our area. In our area, we have ravens that stand about 1 1/2 ft. high (largest ones I've ever seen!) I don't like them in my yard either, but it's like they've all got to eat & they know I feed the other birds. I've shooed the ravens off on occasion, they don't come around much anymore. (06/25/2004)

By badwater

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Badwater
I have the doves too but I don't mind them because I love the cooing.
thanks sue (06/27/2004)

By Suzanne Powell

Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

Poor pigeons! They get no respect. :( (09/11/2004)

By Myra

I am trying to attract various small birds to my feeder. Is there anyone out there with any tips on how to keep pigeons away from this feeder? I have bought a feeder that has bars around it so that the small birds can get in but keeps the big ones out. That didn't work, the pigeons can fit their heads through the bars. Please help!

Leona from Newfoundland

Answers:

How To Keep Pigeons Away From Bird Feeder

We made a bird with outstretched wings out of cardboard and hung it up as a test. It scared the pigeons. We can go outside with our arms outstretched without saying anything and they will take off. It's the bird in the prey mode. We've searched for something made out of plastic or anything that can last outside and haven't been successful. I feed the various small critters out of bowls and the pigeons just wipe out the food in minutes. We're determined to keep working on it. It's very frustrating. (07/18/2005)

By Vicki

I am buying a squirt gun as a last resort. The one I ordered squirts up to 25 feet. I'll let you know if it works. (10/22/2005)

By Allegra

Use that cardboard as a stencil for a wooden version. You could then paint it really scary and hang it from a swivel somehow - then it could almost double as weather-vane.
(02/17/2006)

By Qryztufre

Forget the squirt gun, as it only works when you are out there chasing them. The rest of the time they are gorging on the seed you so generously set out for the other birds.

Go with the phony bird profile. (04/27/2007)

By Joe B.

My motto is if you can't beat them join them. It can be very hard to get rid of some birds and not others. You could try changing the feed, but then you may not attract the birds you like. You could also try attaching a dish to the bottom of your feeder so the seeds don't fall on the ground. I have decided to welcome the birds, pigeons, and squirrels. We enjoy watching them and seeing them come back daily. My kids have even named them. They really are entertaining. If they are being destructive then you should take down the feeder, otherwise, enjoy the beauty of nature. Good luck (10/04/2007)

By Terri

The water gun is a failure. But I found a hose with high pressure will scare them away. I tried it, and they haven't been back since. (07/16/2008)

By anonymous

I used to use a regular feeder and had 50+ pigeons every day. I built a larger feeder with 1 1/2 or 2 " chickenwire mesh. The pigeons put their heads thru and tried to get the food but couldn't reach it. Very quickly they gave up. I've had the little one for 2 years now and have just built one twice as big. (08/12/2008)

By Steven (Albuquerque)

RE: How To Keep Pigeons Away From Bird Feeder

I live in the city and feed birds on my fire escape. Keeping pigeons away is impossible. So I tried multiple feeders: a platform for pigeons and hanging ones for small birds. But the pigeons and doves go to great lengths to balance on the small feeders and eat the seed! The only time small birds come to feed is when I make seed hangers using bagels or paper towel tubes with peanut butter and seed or buy hanging seed bells. Once I even had a downy woodpecker eat at one! (10/23/2008)

By Christina

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesApril 27, 2016
👒
🐛
😷
🌻
👔

Generated 2020-04-27 13:44:24 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️